Author Topic: Programming V3 MEGATHREAD [Because we need one]  (Read 6623 times)

Bookmarked, i'll deal with it tomorrow, i probably did every other tutorial so idk how this one will be much different

I primarily use C and C++ and am fairly talented, although i don't have much experience with it because allegro has never worked before, and i want to develop my skills with that visual advantage.

So my programming contest is tomorrow. It's going to be 3 hours long, with a grand total of 5 questions.

First two are always super easy, and the others I've seen from the previous contests range from easy in theory to absolutely boggling to me. No idea how well I'll do.

I'm forced to do it in java (ew) because that's the only language my teacher can check, and on top of that all the questions are also marked on efficiency.

If I do really well (1st or second in my province) I'll get 100 bucks and a plaque. And if I place in the top 20 overall I'll get invited to the University of Waterloo to do another contest. That one requires that you use C, C++, or Pascal.

And if I get a silver medal there I'll get another $100, or if I get gold I'll get another $300.

ON TOP OF THAT. A good chunk of the gold medalists get to go on a trip to Italy to do another programming contest.

what kinds of questions? can you give examples?

The only thing I use to program stuff is LabVIEW, you guys have probably never heard of it before, if you have, I'm surprised and curious as to where you've heard it from. We use it in our Robotics Team, apart of FIRST FRC.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:12:02 PM by Racerboy »

yeah those first two are pretty straightforward
The only thing I use to program stuff is LabVIEW, you guys have probably never heard of it before, if you have, I'm surprised and curious as to where you've heard it from. We use it in our Robotics Team, apart of FIRST FRC.
there was a labview for lego robotics, i think
never used it, but i have heard of ti

How would you not hear about labview... That's like saying only hipsters use matlab
The software/firmware guy at my job uses it for our projects and he helped me set it up with a linear actuator for a science fair project one year.

They tried to cram LABView down our throats in an electrical engineering course awhile ago.

On a related note one of my side-goals in life is to never learn to use matlab or be put in a position where I have to use it.

Dare I ask: what's so bad about matlab? I've never even heard of it.

I have an extensive language of G-Code. It's used in CNC Machining, basically for creating 3D models with hundreds of thousands of lines of code then transferring the code to a computer that operates a machine to cut those models in real life. Similar to 3D printing. I could make better models using G-Code than the best BL modelers. Not surprising though considering how precise it is. But yeah it needs to be recognized more.

Not... not... LABVIEW. Don't bring it near me, I have a knife. :(

Just finished writing all the contest questions. I think I managed to do 1, 2, 3 and 5 to 100% but I could only partially do 4.

Gah I hope I'm in the top 20 :x

They tried to cram LABView down our throats in an electrical engineering course awhile ago.

On a related note one of my side-goals in life is to never learn to use matlab or be put in a position where I have to use it.

I've never had to use matlab but I did have to use Wileyplus, which was loving terrible. It was pretty bad using it for a math class, but a programming class. It was loving awful

Just finished writing all the contest questions. I think I managed to do 1, 2, 3 and 5 to 100% but I could only partially do 4.

Gah I hope I'm in the top 20 :x
what was 4?