Researcher kicked from harvard network for mining cryptocurrency

Author Topic: Researcher kicked from harvard network for mining cryptocurrency  (Read 690 times)

If you had access to a giant supercomputer, what would you do?
The best part? (trans) He was mining dogecoin of all things. loving rofl

Wow.
That's one way to use 100% of a super computer all at once.
What a waste.

Also Dogecoin? Sentence that man to death.

harvard could make some serious cash by doing that when the supercomputer isnt in use

First, Harvard. Next, the MOON.

this also brings up a point on how other large corporations with substantial reserves of computers could make bank by doing this

Currency mining takes up 100% of your computers power. Same as running the dishwasher, dryer and washing machine at the same time in your house on the same circuit.
It fries stuff. Not a way to use a computer that expensive.

can somebody explain to me how cryptocurrency mining is legal?  to my understanding it's like printing money

this also brings up a point on how other large corporations with substantial reserves of computers could make bank by doing this
The market is too unstable for this. Bitcoins lost like 75% of their value last week, it fluctuates like that often
Not to mention the power consumption is going to have to be factored in

Not to mention the power consumption is going to have to be factored in

Fries your stuff in a week..

can somebody explain to me how cryptocurrency mining is legal?  to my understanding it's like printing money
To my limited understanding, you are trading in CPU power to be rewarded with currency. It's actually an exchange, but not profitable on an average computer.