Pen and Paper Roleplaying Games - GETTING A GROUP TOGETHER

Author Topic: Pen and Paper Roleplaying Games - GETTING A GROUP TOGETHER  (Read 4081 times)

Pen and Paper Roleplaying

Pen and paper roleplaying games are games where the actions of a character in a game world are described and controlled by a player. Usually, pen and paper roleplaying games are run by a game master who describes the game world and how it reacts to the players (and also handles much of the dice-rolls and mechanics behind the roleplaying game as well.) Pen and paper games offer a much larger degree of freedom than other forms of interactive media because much of it lis left up to the player's imagination- they are free to improvise as much as they want, and the game master is able to change the direction and world of the game as a result of the player's actions. Pen-and-paper roleplaying games are often governed by a set of rules which gives a feeling of suspense and risk to the game. There are hundreds of pen and paper roleplaying games in distribution, most of them tailored to a specific genre or setting. There are also systems which have modules that can be added or removed to suit a setting or genre. Ultimately, the point of a pen and paper roleplaying game is to have fun.

THE BIG THREE
Dungeons and Dragons

Probably the most well-known pen and paper RPG, Dungeons and Dragons is a fantasy RPG that is inspired by western fantasy and, most notably, the works of J. R. Tolkien. Currently the most popular RPG overall (thank you /tg/ statistics) it uses the D20 system. Created by Gary Gygax and some other guy who nobody gives a stuff about in 1974, the basic version evolved over time into Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, which is now what people actually call Dungeons and Dragons. Confusing. Eventually, 4.0e(current edition) came and pissed off a lot of people who liked 3.5e, who went over to...

Pathfinder

It's a more polished 3.5e published by different guys. Not much to say here.

WH40k Roleplaying/Dark Heresy

The third most played RPG according to the totally reliable /tg/ census, in Dark Heresy (published by Fantasy Flight Games, first came out in 2008), you play as acolytes (rookie/training Inquisitors) who go to various places to investigate and root out Chaos dark heresy (get it?) and alien infiltrations. And usually die horribly. The system used by Dark Heresy would later be used in other 40k roleplaying games. Seen below.
Rogue Trader (2009) - Play as interstellar traders and explorers. Like Spanish explorers except less cruel.
Deathwatch (2011) - Be Space Marines and kill aliens. Be OP.
Black Crusade (2011) - Be Chaos cultists and spread the truth. Kill people.
Only War (2012) - Be Guardsmen. Take part in an army of blind and willing meatshield redshirts proud soldiers of the Emperor

Roleplaying Games
Call of Cthulhu
A Role-playing game inspired and based on the works of HP Lovecraft, this horror RPG takes the players to the dark depths of the world to investigate Eldritch horrors. Most of the time, it takes place in the 1920's, when most of Lovecraft's stories took place. Really fun/scary with friends, and if done properly can be very enjoyable. Expect a lot of people to die or lose their head completely. Has a supplement called Delta Green which changes the Call of Cthulhu base game into something more compatible with the present day.

Shadowrun
A cyberpunk/fantasy roleplaying game, this unique take on traditional fantasy elements combines dragons, magic, and elves with cybernetic augmentations and ubiquitous drug use. Set in the late 21st century, dragons, elves, and your standard fantasy fair has emerged alongside a futuristic, technology-infused world where Native Americans have taken back most of America.

Group Post

Expect this to be updated later. It's hard to write an OP on the iPad.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:19:18 PM by ZombiLoin »

im too impatient for these type of games

I always wanted to try all these games, even though they are commonly associated with obese or skeletal nerds who have never felt the light of day hit their faces.

I used to play these kinds of games all the time in my freshman / sophomore years during lunch. Nowadays everyone just plays MTG.

I almost played one of these earlier this year but we never actually did

Some of my friends were trying to start a Pathfinder game, but we haven't really discussed it recently. The DM says she's still working on the game's lore or something like that.

I feel bad though because the character I made is pretty useless. He's a necromancer in a world with no (naturally occurring) undead... At least my dungeon master was cool and let me buff him so that he starts with a magic lute that can cast Animate Dead in the place of a familiar. Other than that he's a powerful wizard. I'm starting off with a Intellect of 24. Great loving die roll on my part, especially because I start off with 25 spells.

used to play D&D all the times with friends

not much anymore

i played with my dad a few months ago, it was p. fun
two of his friends came over and stuff

I used to play these kinds of games all the time in my freshman / sophomore years during lunch. Nowadays everyone just plays MTG.
Basically
Except I don't even have friends for that anymore.

I really want to try dungeons and dragons out, but I can never find an opportunity. It seems really fun to me.

I really want to try dungeons and dragons out, but I can never find an opportunity. It seems really fun to me.

Is it possible to have an online session?

I tried running a game on the forums using Unisystem before. Sadly it never got off the ground due to reasons I will not describe here.
Is it possible to have an online session?
Hell yeah. Just get Skype or something. Even Steam might work.

Even Steam might work.

i'm kind of opposed to using voice chat with people on the internet mostly because i can't stand my voice and i feel weird socializing with people i can't see but can hear so

is text efficient

I've created a DayZ style P&PRPG.

i'm kind of opposed to using voice chat with people on the internet mostly because i can't stand my voice and i feel weird socializing with people i can't see but can hear so

is text efficient
Depends on how fast you type and if what you're using shows who's currently typing I guess.

due to reasons I will not describe here.
Lol, did someone die or something?