So how about a steam free weekend?

Poll

Free Weekend?

Yes
No

Author Topic: So how about a steam free weekend?  (Read 1455 times)

The number of players online is obviously back to normal by now, so would anyone else think that a free weekend would be a good idea? Badspot could give them a 200k ID and then remove them after the weekend is over or something. I think this could bring more players toward Blockland.

This would be perfect.

I guess making temporary IDs would work, so yes.

I like the idea of it but there's a few problems with it

If a bunch of people grab it for free, then Baddy deactivates the IDs when it's over, we could be skipping 1,000 or more IDs.

If that isn't how it works, consider the following situation:

Blockhead200002 joins Pecon7's server and gets banned forever. A few years later, when this ID is actually sold, a completely different person tries to join Pecon7's under this key, but can't because said ID was banned in the past.

The only workaround I can find is to have letters in the IDs ( ex S1018 ) or absurdly high IDs we'll probably never reach ( such as 7806900 )

For free weekends Badspot can setup a special amount of key blocks, such as 90,000-100,000. He could have them all expire after the weekend is over, but there will still be the problem of banned players if it actually reached that high. Some people would have most likely cleaned the banned list by then though.

He could also just set the master server to allow all players without a key for the weekend, but that would be an idea to build upon because of how the ID system is made.

Mmmmmm I dunno.  No one can get the hang of blockland in a week, let alone a weekend...  It's just gonna be confusing and people are going to bitch about things being too hard on Steam reviews.

I'm not too sure if that would be a great idea, I would wait for workshop support.

What about negitive ID's...?

What about negitive ID's...?
Great idea.
Still have the problem of banned freebies still being banned after the weekend. Perhaps some kind of update that forces bans against negative IDs to never be over a week?

Not sure if this would interfere, but...
  • Right Click->View CD Key hangs - This option shouldn't even be there, if you bought the game directly through steam you don't even have a Blockland key.

I didn't understand this.

Great idea.
Still have the problem of banned freebies still being banned after the weekend. Perhaps some kind of update that forces bans against negative IDs to never be over a week?
their ID will be different when they buy BL.
The negative ID's are just temporary ones that will be deleted after the free week is over.

I didn't understand this.
basically, Steam has a games library which stores every game you have installed or bought. some games are free, and some are made free for the 48 hours of Saturday and Sunday.
the matter of blockland  having one of these free weekends is discussed on this topic.

i think this would be an amazing idea and also very convenient for the players as Blockland only takes about 5 minutes to download on Steam. Players would be tempted to buy it even if their broadband was terrible (like mine once was) and it would really boost our playerbase.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:50:00 PM by ChappersTeddy »

I don't think players being banned from servers should be an issue, just have them not have an ID or be as Bomb Kirby said "S1234" for the weekend and remove them after.
Mmmmmm I dunno.  No one can get the hang of blockland in a week, let alone a weekend...  It's just gonna be confusing and people are going to bitch about things being too hard on Steam reviews.
Playing the game for free doesn't change if they get the hang of it or not. It will help players find the game, try it out, and buy it if they enjoyed it. I can't think of any huge downsides to this.