Should badspot take legal action against the next ddoser?

Poll

Should he?

yeah
26 (86.7%)
no
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Should badspot take legal action against the next ddoser?  (Read 1078 times)

Of course, I'm fully aware of the fact that I'm almost completely unaware of how most of the legal stuff works. But seriously, RTB went down because the service Ephi used stopped supporting servers which got DDoS'd (correct me if I am wrong here), which was an unfortunate event for every person who played blockland.

My thinking is that once these delinquents actually get a kick from the boot of the law, and even if it's getting banned from using a computer for however long, or a short community service sentence (again, I'm not entirely sure about this end of stuff), that it might actually send the message that they can and will get in trouble with this type of behaviour. That and hopefully it will scare off the kids who have this kind of idea, that it's ok to pillage on the internet because "it's only the internet"

Obviously there are costs and the sort involved with an action like this; I don't know anything about this end, so think of this as just a small little idea with many potential flaws.

little rant/opinion below; you don't have to read it if you don't want to. Most of it probably doesn't make sense because I'm tired.

I mean, by the time we're all Badspots age, the internet will most likely be a place in which crime will not be tolerated, much like in real life. This is because the internet is becoming part of real life. By the time I'm 40 I'm pretty sure everybody in the world* is likely to have used a computer at some point in life, with almost no computer illiteracy in a modern population. Like really, this time 5 years ago you didn't have any sort of computer or internet access unless you had a specific use for it; now you can buy computers and laptops specifically designed for browsing the web. That's ridiculous in my opinion. But although these advances in technology are great, politics and governments will want to catch up. Our governments are compromised mainly of people who are 40+ years of age, and when we're that age there are going to be politicians and governments who want to keep a watchful eye on what we are doing. (Hell, it's already happening, just not on the same scale I'd predict it to be)

*people who are not in a third world country

Well, if my game was being dossed I would. Its not like I make money off of it or anything.

I suppose the question really is then, Badspot: Would you?

Its not a community service crime, ddos is a federal offense you would be sent to prison for a while.

Unless your a little kid of course.

I mean, by the time we're all Badspots age, the internet will most likely be a place in which crime will not be tolerated, much like in real life.
This makes me cringe. Really.

The crimes most of these kids are doing are pretty much up there with petty vandalism and you want us to invoke a federal, possibly felony charge on these kids. If they happen to live in a different country, then it would be some form of international police organization that would need to get involved.

Not going to happen.

eh, if the ddoser is a recurring friend or the ddos itself ended up causing serious stuff to happen I suppose

Pretty sure Baddy said that DDoS protection (at least stronger than he/we currently own) is quite expensive to maintain, and tracing Internet coots can be quite difficult.  In the case of Okiver for e.g., if Badspot or Ephialtes decided to pursue him, he'd be at the mercy of the Danish law.  I'm sure Badspot getting in contact with international Denmark would be difficult and/or costly.  I'm guessing from Badspot's POV, he just waits for a DDoS to blow over rather than fight it because it is more cost efficient for him, which is what someone owning a retail game is looking for.

I don't it's worth it, it's a lot more worth it to just get DDoS protection.

I've tried to contact the FBI before, over the huge DDOS that kept blockland down for about a day.
It's super hard, you need to pretty much insert all your personal info, such as address, name, etc.
Say you're complaining of DDOS. You have to complete this whole form then, and most of the fill-ins on the form are irrelevant.