Is there a way to export a construction from blockland?

Author Topic: Is there a way to export a construction from blockland?  (Read 3360 times)

I've been mocking up a vehicle in blockland, with the idea that it would be the best way to get an accurate feel of it's scale, however is there a way to export the brickwork to a standard 3D format?

zack0wack0 made a BLS to OBJ converter a long while ago but it died with the rest of his stuff i guess

zack0wack0 made a BLS to OBJ converter a long while ago but it died with the rest of his stuff i guess
I actually made a new obj exporter that you run as a client-sided add-on that grabs all the bricks, parses the special blbs from the server, and exports all the faces seperated into bricks with correct uv mapping and triangles (which obj2blb fails to export)

But it didn't get finished because I didn't have time to add support for smooth groups and then I never touched it again

wait it was made in TS

or did it use an external program

wait it was made in TS

or did it use an external program
I wrote the whole thing in torkscript

If anyone's interested in it (note: it should not have any critical bugs but it might not work 100%)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/143512782/bl/Script_BuildToObj.zip

Usage:

1. Join a server (it does NOT work in single player)
2. Let ghosting finish
3. Find the bottom of the brick stack that you want to export
4. Place an identical ghost brick over the brick that holds all bricks you want to export
5. Make sure no other ghost brick is closer to your player
6. Open console and type BTO_Start();
7. Depending on the size of the build this might take a long time
8. Notice half a million lines of debug echos in your console
9. You now have the brick textures, a .mtl and a .obj file in config/objexport/test/

I wrote the whole thing in torkscript

If anyone's interested in it (note: it should not have any critical bugs but it might not work 100%)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/143512782/bl/Script_BuildToObj.zip

Usage:

1. Join a server (it does NOT work in single player)
2. Let ghosting finish
3. Find the bottom of the brick stack that you want to export
4. Place an identical ghost brick over the brick that holds all bricks you want to export
5. Make sure no other ghost brick is closer to your player
6. Open console and type BTO_Start();
7. Depending on the size of the build this might take a long time
8. Notice half a million lines of debug echos in your console
9. You now have the brick textures, a .mtl and a .obj file in config/objexport/test/
Dude, you're awesome.

Well there's BLS importer for Blender : http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=244029.0
I don't think that works for the most recent versions of Blender

I don't think that works for the most recent versions of Blender
Not to mention that unlike my exporter it has no access to the blb files and therefor cannot import special bricks.

However, if you use zone bricks or modter as support it is likely that the client-sided brick stack functions fail. Maybe I should make a mode that lets you export a zone or just everything.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 03:33:54 AM by Zeblote »

Not to mention that unlike my exporter it has no access to the blb files and therefor cannot import special bricks.
It worked with the tree, Christmas tree and music brick, i hadn't gotten to try it with anything else before it stopped working though

Your script feels a bit wonky, i have bricks set up on a baseplate, and i have the ghost brick of the baseplate in the same spot, but only one brick exported

It's also rotated sideways when exported

However, if you use zone bricks or modter as support it is likely that the client-sided brick stack functions fail. Maybe I should make a mode that lets you export a zone or just everything.
I just tested this on Demo House. Problems:
Only the roof was exported.
If you try to view the textures in 3D view on Blender, the textures appear screwed up. However, it all renders fine.
It is rotated to the side.

If you try to view the textures in 3D view on Blender, the textures appear screwed up. However, it all renders fine.
This happened with bricks imported with the BLB importer Siba made as well, i guess it's just something that the 3D view can't handle

It worked with the tree, Christmas tree and music brick, i hadn't gotten to try it with anything else before it stopped working though

Your script feels a bit wonky, i have bricks set up on a baseplate, and i have the ghost brick of the baseplate in the same spot, but only one brick exported

It's also rotated sideways when exported
I also can't seem to export it more than once, so if i need to redo it, i can't re-export it unless i restart the game
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 03:45:19 AM by Masterlegodude »

I just tried it on the cottage. All normal bricks aren't exported. Only things exported: Fences, windows, ramps, print bricks, rounds, trees.

What in the forget
I'll go see why it isn't working later

Because it all worked fine for me
Post the billion lines of spam that come after you typed bto_start

What do you mean textures screwed up?