Okcupid calls for users to ditch FireFox due to CEO's previous Prop8 donation

Author Topic: Okcupid calls for users to ditch FireFox due to CEO's previous Prop8 donation  (Read 3430 times)

3 days ago dating website OkCupid put up a message for users of Firefox visiting their website. It noted that Firefox CEO Brendan Eich previously made donations to fund Proposition 8, a California Ballot Proposition that would rule same-love marriages "invalid and unrecognized" in California. The message users are greeted by outlines the political goal of this, stating that "Those who seek to deny love and instead enforce misery, shame and frustration are our enemies, and we wish them nothing but failure". Below the message were links to alternative web browsers for download. 2 days later the message was taken down.

Full article on Washington Post

Discuss.

Pretty lulzy. Making a nice statement though.

Didn't know the Firefox CEO was gross

It's stupid when people boycot companies due to the personal beliefs of their leaders.

The right reason to boycot something is due to the actions a corporation/business takes to produce their products or services, not the personal beliefs of their members.

Ok I will stop paying for my Firefox subscription.

what dren said

plus it's a loving web browser god dammit

lol seriously is OkCupid really this worried?

Same deal with Hobby Lobby.  The owners of the Hobby Lobby company are Christian and don't support same love marriages or contraceptives and everyone is getting all pissy with them, but last time I checked we live in a free republic where people are allowed to practice their religious beliefs as long as it doesn't cause anyone else harm.

EDIT:damnit frankie

Also gj linking one of the most sensationalized news websites on the web.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:27:54 PM by ABlockOfCheese »

what if the ceo beliefs are effecting how the company operates?
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/hobby-lobbys-contraception-hypocrisy

Soon Firefox will have a homepage spouting the virtues of levitican law and control legions of Sunday schools across the country

Same deal with Hobby Lobby.  The owners of the Hobby Lobby company are Christian and don't support same love marriages and everyone is getting all pissy with them, but last time I checked we live in a free republic where people are allowed to practice their religious beliefs as long as it doesn't cause anyone else harm.
except it kinda does?
the ceo thinks he shouldn't have to provide contraception coverage because of his religious beliefs

last time I checked we live in a free republic where people are allowed to practice their religious beliefs as long as it doesn't cause anyone else harm.
I almost spit out my drink

Also, shouldn't people be boycotting the use of Javascript since Eich was the direct creator of it? That would make more sense.

Maybe people should do sit-ins at Mozilla offices or something, lol. Political protest has gotten so soft and picky these days.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:32:53 PM by Dodger »

Also, shouldn't people be boycotting the use of Javascript since Eich was the direct creator of it? That would make more sense.
that would be rather difficult to do