Is it me, or did it get easier to see in the dark after v21?

Poll

Did nighttime/dark skyboxes/environments/maps get easier to see in?

Yes
15 (48.4%)
No
9 (29%)
I can't tell, I don't use shaders.
7 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Is it me, or did it get easier to see in the dark after v21?  (Read 888 times)

Extremely overdue question, just like the RTB2 one.

It seems to me that after V21, "darkness" pretty much got killed off unless you turn on shaders. (Remember GSF maps at night and how you absolutely NEEDED the Night Vision Goggles addon to even see? Extreme darkness.). Even in dark situations from environment files, unless you turn on shaders, its not too difficult to see. This is the best way I can try to explain it. Anyone able to describe it better?

By Night Vision Goggles, I meant Gravity Cat's. There was another one you could activate by a keybind that only tinted the screen green.

Without shaders, the default brick textures have white edges that glow in the dark. Same with Faces and Decals that use color. It's easy to see in the dark with these textures because the edges of all bricks literally glow. Without maps, everything is made of bricks so these textures are seen much more than before.

The game didn't become brighter, it just seems that way because there is no alternative to brick builds.
I suggest using custom brick textures.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:28:56 AM by tber123 »

For me, yes. However, I rarely use shadows and shaders.

I've got a really loving awful monitor, and dark things are just unbelievably dark, so I can never see at all.

Which unfortunately is the same as pre-V21.
So, I can't really tell for myself if there is a difference in the darkness now without shaders.

(Remember GSF maps at night and how you absolutely NEEDED the Night Vision Goggles addon to even see? Extreme darkness.).
Yeah, I do remember the night vision goggles

I also remember that they just tinted your screen green and didn't help you see in the dark. At all.

I've got a really loving awful monitor, and dark things are just unbelievably dark, so I can never see at all.

Which unfortunately is the same as pre-V21.
So, I can't really tell for myself if there is a difference in the darkness now without shaders.
There is for me.

how you absolutely NEEDED the Night Vision Goggles addon to even see?
yeah those didn't actually do jack stuff

No it was just as easy to see pre-v21, and it was actually something I've complained about before.

Making any sort of gamemode involving darkness is impossible without removing brick textures altogether. And even then, I think they could just leave download textures off and keep the default textures.

Without shaders, the default brick textures have white edges that glow in the dark. Same with Faces and Decals that use color. It's easy to see in the dark with these textures because the edges of all bricks literally glow. Without maps, everything is made of bricks so these textures are seen much more than before.

The game didn't become brighter, it just seems that way because there is no alternative to brick builds.
I suggest using custom brick textures.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:48:24 AM by Mr.Noßody »

it's actually harder to see with the green tint on

it's actually harder to see with the green tint on
Yeah, I do remember the night vision goggles

I also remember that they just tinted your screen green and didn't help you see in the dark. At all.
Gravity Cat's NVG addon, or the one you could activate with a keybind? Was it both?

Yeah, got way easier.  Makes using your player light way more practical, too.