Scam on Amazon?

Author Topic: Scam on Amazon?  (Read 2468 times)

So, when browsing through SCS's Software blog a while back, I saw a comment about pre-ordering of American Truck Simulator (ATS) available in the UK. Here's the link to the product on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/American-Truck-Simulator-PC-DVD/dp/B00HWPL2X0/ref=sr_1_1/275-5905974-1515127?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1400086651&sr=1-1&keywords=American+Truck+Simulator#productDescription

Now, notice that it's UK only, if you search "American Truck Simulator" on the US Amazon, you get no results for ATS, just ETS and other Europe based truck sims. Also notice the date of release for the pre-order, June 27.

SCS has specifically mentioned that they do not have a specific release date, and all dates are simply speculation.

Another thing is this:
In America, big is beautiful and the trucks you’ll be driving are no exception. With a selection of vehicles that are larger than their European counter parts, you’ll feel the raw power of each vehicle’s engine as you cruise down the wide-open roads and manoeuvre through densely populated cities.

This base game will continue to be expanded upon with future releases extending your Californian driving experience.  Unlike digital versions, this boxed version will include a serial key to allow the free download of American Truck Simulator’s Arizona expansion pack later on during 2014.

Notice those last two sentences. If I remember correctly, SCS said they'd be doing a Minecraft style release of ATS. This means they'd set the game up for sale, and at the moment, it would be just ~California. It'd basically be a beta. Then, as more of the map was completed, they'd set the game up for sale at its full price, and as they finished more of the map, it would be available for free to all who had bought the game. They never said anything about needing keys to download the rest of the map!

Then there's image used for it:

Let's look at other SCS truck simulator covers.

Notice a difference? All of these have pictures of trucks and other stuff in them. And in the lower right corner, it always says "Excalibur Publishing," not "Excalibur Simulator."

Now, the last thing that makes this look like a scam to me is the publisher. This is a small thing, and I could easily be wrong about it, but the publisher for ATS is "Excalibur Publishing."  If you search for "Euro Truck Simulator," you get it being sold by multiple different sellers, including "Excalibur/Merge," and just plain "Excalibur." Excalibur is the publishing company for Euro Truck Simulator, so this makes sense. If you look at the other things "Excalibur Publishing" is selling, it's a bunch of other, similar simulator games. Notice that a bunch have only a couple or no reviews? I'd think the publisher for such a successful game would have more reviews on their products. My point is, this could easily have been created outside of Excalibur Publishing, and used to sell stuff. Then they decided to try this scam.

So, what do you guys think? Am I just going crazy, or does this look like it could be a scam?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:34:17 PM by Georges »

more like scamazon am I right HEH HEPGHh

Related:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Replacement-External-Telephoto-GorillaPod/dp/B00HGUVDBC/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1400089020&sr=1-1
Oh my gosh, lol

Also, I forgot to mention that it being in UK only seems weird because ATS is based in America, obviously. It's not like SCS is based in the UK, it's based in the Czech Republic.

Amazon? More like scamazo-
more like scamazon am I right HEH HEPGHh
forget

They never said anything about needing keys to download the rest of the map!

the rest of the map being 1 state

the rest of the map being 1 state
My point is that people who purchased the game are going to be able to download the rest of the map in updates, free of charge. The way this was worded made it sound as if it's an exclusive or it's something you'll have to purchase. And what better way to pull people into this halfway believable scam then to offer something they "couldn't" get elsewhere. 

I'm gonna bump this, I wanna know what you guys think.

Looks pretty solid to me. Maybe you should buy it and tell us what happens. I'm sure Amazon is on top of fraud and could reimburse you within a few days if it is fraud. I ordered a sketchy sweatshirt by some unknown small company that said it'd take a few weeks to deliver my sweatshirt, and there were no reviews on it. However, when it came in I was not disappointed and it was delivered within a few weeks like they warned me.

Nah, Id have to convert $ to £, I think, plus I'm like broke.

Nah, Id have to convert $ to £, I think, plus I'm like broke.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/779191-american-truck-simulator-starter-pack-california/data
This states the release date is the same. June 27th.

Huh, I find it odd that they haven't updated their blog with this info (also, I've seen this product for a while). I check the blog everyday for new posts, and haven't seen a release date. We'll see, I guess.

fyi there is a multiplayer mod for ETS2 if anyone is interested in that

fyi there is a multiplayer mod for ETS2 if anyone is interested in that
whoaaa... To bad I'd don't have ETS2. :(