What makes a game fun?

Author Topic: What makes a game fun?  (Read 1836 times)

well it depends if I want to play a shooter or a strategy or a sandbox or a puzzle game

Satisfying as hell mechanics. Also good "vibe" for lack of a better word at the moment.
Replayability
Huge customization
Huge worlds
great storyline and physics
All of these are auxiliary imo.

playability
not loving graphics

not loving graphics
I agree for the most part, but graphics do factor into playability.

successfully connecting with the player to be able to supply an entertaining experience

the most general way to put it for every kind of direction a game can go lol

Multiplayer
Good combat system

Basicly good gameplay, variety and not being repetitive can make it fun for me

most good games should function well

if they don't actually function well then it's just a chore

The way I see it-

A game is a system people use to entertain themselves and increase their happiness.  That's what a game is- for.  And the further away from that a game gets, the more I ask myself, "Is this really a game?"

There are in general, two types of players.
Casual and Intense

The Intense player really cares about what's going on.  They're deeply invested in what's happening in the game, and are generally the ones who 'win'.  These are the people who like to accomplish things and get a great deal of happiness when they do so.

A Casual player cares more about the entertainment value of the game.  These are the type of people who would be fine just sitting back and watching a movie.  They're less about winning the game and more about just kinda, watching things happen.

The amount of fun a person has playing a game depends greatly on that person.  An Intense player needs clear goals, and something of a challenge.  A casual player needs some sort of entertainment.  Whether that entertainment is the story, or the other players.  Naturally a player looking for entertainment will have less fun in a challenging environment.  Even more so if they're tired.  The amount of effort a player desires to put in to achieve a result changes depending on that player.

A story gives a player goals and direction, and if it's good enough, it entertains the player at the same time.  Some games don't really need a story.  If you're game involves throwing a ball into a basket using some sort of QWOP functionality, naming the main character Joe and giving him a tragic backstory doesn't really do as much.  Most of the entertainment value in that case would be in watching the character flip over backwards and spasm on the floor.

Things that all games need, no matter the genre:
Playability
Good aesthetics
Reasonable difficulty (not too easy or too hard(I actually prefer too easy, but you know how those "hardcore" gamers are))

What makes a good game for me is story, where it doesn't just start you off like "Go on, you can do it yourself."

Like Limbo, it just didn't have any story at the start, and the graphics make all the stuff in the game look more intense.

So Graphics and Good story is what I like in a game.

you gotta defeat the enemies

you gotta defeat the enemies
So then

Every game has enemies?

WOW.