Tell me how to build good: Lounge Edition!

Author Topic: Tell me how to build good: Lounge Edition!  (Read 4202 times)

I am attempting to build a lounge that kind of has a relaxing-on-a-friday-night-at-sunset-kind of feel to it, but I have hit a roadblock and cannot think of an atleast decent way of building the exterior to the building. if you wish to post suggestions, realize the build is obviously WIP.

Screenshots:

First off, you should probably do the exterior first. For the most part, it's better if you start from the outside and work your way inward. Building the exterior with the interior in mind is the best way to go.

First off, you should probably do the exterior first. For the most part, it's better if you start from the outside and work your way inward. Building the exterior with the interior in mind is the best way to go.
oh ok, thanks! If anyone else has tips send them my way.

Instead of doing transparent tiles, do a wooden floor. I think there's a addon for long, thin, tiles floating around here somewhere.

I don't think that's strictly true.
Sometimes it can be worse to build outside-in, since you misjudge the room inside for your interiors.
I think it depends on the builder and their personal view at the time.

Whatever you do, please do not build your exterior walls on the baseplates you have already.
If you do you'll be leaving yourself with 5 blocks room between the outerwall and the bar, which is very tight.

I would recommend you build plate bricks on the perimeter of your baseplates first, at least 2-blocks out. That way you give yourself plenty of room inside.
You can also give yourself an interior wall, which can look different from the exterior wall.
If you were to design that first then you'd have walls that you're happy to look at from the inside and match the theme there.
After that you can build walls, roofing, porticos, balconys and what have you on the outside that perfectly fit in the shape of your interior wall. Just having a good place to build your exterior might bring you inspiration for how to design it.

The outside doesn't necessarilly have to fit the inside in style either. You can have crazy interiors within buildings you'd never expect, so don't be afraid to make the outside a different style.

I don't think that's strictly true.
Sometimes it can be worse to build outside-in, since you misjudge the room inside for your interiors.
I think it depends on the builder and their personal view at the time.
For the most part, it's better if you start from the outside and work your way inward.
:I

Make a floor plan. Think of features you should add.

For example, if you wanted to add a pool, decide where that would go relative to the bar, then maybe where a pair of doors would be leading out to it, and build the room to extend around it a little.

You might try building random walls to get an idea of how the space might feel. Put things up, break things down, don't be too concerned about quality as you go. Find out where walls and doorways should be, then choose optimal bricks and add details later.

No, you never do this.

Building the exterior first is a great way to ensure cramped rooms or rooms with too much space. Building the interior first, then building the exterior to hold it is the best way to go. Allows for more error.
Nothing is worse than wanting to add a room in an area just to find the exterior you spent so much time on disagrees.

No, you never do this.
No, you never do this. Interior/exterior first is all preference. It depends on the builder and how they think and plan.

No, you never do this. Interior/exterior first is all preference. It depends on the builder and how they think and plan.

If you liked cramped and crowded rooms, I guess so.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:14:44 AM by Sylvanor »

And Sylvanor just stole the thread! Oh
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:10:17 PM by halonerfer29 »

yeah, sylvanor's looks pretty bad

I was just showing to help but heh. Build something better instead of saying its stuff without valid arguments