Poll

Should Badspot alter zone gravity to affect vehicles?

Yes.
64 (88.9%)
No.
8 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: July 04, 2014, 12:32:32 PM

Author Topic: Petition for Badspot to Alter Zone Gravity to Work With Vehicles  (Read 2969 times)

Mods really make this game what it is

It's strikes me as absolutely insane that badspot wouldn't do everything he could to support modders. I don't see people pestering him for content, I see people pestering him to fix the broken stuff that is restricting them from making content. It mostly confuses me from a business standpoint. I don't see how the "better stuff on the people who want to invest their own time creating content for my game" mindset is sustainable. With his performance in the kalphiter topic, I don't see it changing either, shame really.


Quote from: Badspot
Rising lava is a gamemode.  It's kinda fun but has some problems.  You would probably say that the problem is the water system isn't good enough and that Badspot needs to update the engine and make the water rise smoothly or code fluid dynamics or something.  Badspot won't do that, so you just throw up your arms blame all your problems on Badspot.  Why even bother working on a mod at all if Badspot won't "fix" the engine right?

What you really should be doing is refining the gameplay within the limitations of the tech you have.  You're stuck with planar lava with kind of dodgy movement.  Ok.  What's a gameplay problem?  Well everyone gets stuck in the staircase.  Why?  Because everyone wants to get to the roof of the skyscraper.  Why are they doing that?  It's the only safe spot.  Hmm, maybe there should be more than one safe spot.  Maybe the lava shouldn't always go to the top of the map so lower spots can be safe.  Maybe lava should go up and down.  Maybe announce how high it's going to go so people can plan where they're going to escape to.  Maybe give people something to collect so they have a reason to come down off the buildings - coins or something (gems?).  Maybe a lava proof suit powerup?  Maybe a rowboat that catches on fire after a bit?  Maybe a lava shark? 

Do you see how changing mindsets leads to actually developing a game?

I'm with baddy on this one. Maybe a bandwagon, maybe not. I'm no add-on creator, can't really see it through the other end.

the fact that you need to use sequences to play animations with images is a bitch, for one.
it's not all about big gameplay changes like fluid dynamics or networking.

Well, I have a question though. Why can't our engine support schedules that are every frame? Why is 16 MS the limit? Was it ever explained?
Sometimes it feels like too much of a strain.

Well, I have a question though. Why can't our engine support schedules that are every frame? Why is 16 MS the limit? Was it ever explained?
Sometimes it feels like too much of a strain.
Why do you need anything more precise than 16ms? That's literally less than a blink of an eye.

Why do you need anything more precise than 16ms? That's literally less than a blink of an eye.

Code a hacky, jumpy, broken "zero vehicle gravity" mod and release it. It'll piss him off so much he'll make this work properly.


Code a hacky, jumpy, broken "zero vehicle gravity" mod and release it. It'll piss him off so much he'll make this work properly.
lmao yes!

Well, I have a question though. Why can't our engine support schedules that are every frame? Why is 16 MS the limit? Was it ever explained?
Sometimes it feels like too much of a strain.
Because there aren't 1000 frames per second.

I'm with baddy on this one. Maybe a bandwagon, maybe not. I'm no add-on creator, can't really see it through the other end.
So basically you don't have the experience to form an opinion on this.

Code a hacky, jumpy, broken "zero vehicle gravity" mod and release it. It'll piss him off so much he'll make this work properly.

Already did that. Like, a year ago.

There's a /gravity command, which can be used with one or three values. /gravity 20 is default, and /gravity 20 0 0 is the same force but due east.


There are some other commands too but I don't remember what they are.


EDIT:
-snip-

Except I'm not asking for a major modification which would require a complete overhaul of the way that the engine, physics, bricks, and network protocols all function. I'm asking for a change which should arguably have already been made when PhysicalZones were implemented in the first place, whether it was by Badspot or the Garage Games developers. (I don't actually know which.)

The fact that zones don't affect vehicles but do affect players confused me when I didn't know TorqueScript and was using zone events, and continues to confuse me to this day.
It's like implementing ASCII instead of Unicode and then breaking the ASCII characters of 0x02 - 0x07, 0x0B, 0x0C, and 0x0F - 0x11. Oh... wait.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 04:25:37 PM by Xalos »

GarageGames made the PhysicalZones, but Badspot modified them to in to include water properties.

waiting for badspot to post here

So basically you don't have the experience to form an opinion on this.

Maybe, but I don't see anything restricting me from putting it over here. No one is going to break down my house door and yell at me for this. My opinion is as valid as whoever reading it thinks it is. Hence the name, 'opinion'.

Maybe, but I don't see anything restricting me from putting it over here. No one is going to break down my house door and yell at me for this. My opinion is as valid as whoever reading it thinks it is. Hence the name, 'opinion'.