Author Topic: Light Trail for a weapon?  (Read 5094 times)

We're trying to create a light trail emitter for a spear like projectile however we want just a continuous light trail

any thoughts about doing so?

here's our emitter pic

Sorry for being unhelpful, but how did you make that? It looks neat :o

As far as I know (and I may be wrong), you'll just have to spam a circular (or other shape) emitter constantly, because I don't think Torque supports Gmod-style trails.

Here's the issue with that and Torque emitters. In Torque, emitters emit small image files. If it simply did that, you'd be set. However, like in many game engines, because the particles are 2D, they always face the player. Which leaves you with a few options.

A) Combine several different emitters for one projectile, each with its own different arcing texture, but less like a long strike and more like a blob.

B) Texture a projectile with that, maybe adding some emitters for extra motion.

C) Figure out how to tile an image/textured model along a raycast, if possible.

Sorry for being unhelpful, but how did you make that? It looks neat :o

As far as I know (and I may be wrong), you'll just have to spam a circular (or other shape) emitter constantly, because I don't think Torque supports Gmod-style trails.

Thanks! I simply trans'd a lightning bolt on a black background haha. Also, I'll try the circular method, sounds promising

Here's the issue with that and Torque emitters. In Torque, emitters emit small image files. If it simply did that, you'd be set. However, like in many game engines, because the particles are 2D, they always face the player. Which leaves you with a few options.

A) Combine several different emitters for one projectile, each with its own different arcing texture, but less like a long strike and more like a blob.

B) Texture a projectile with that, maybe adding some emitters for extra motion.

C) Figure out how to tile an image/textured model along a raycast, if possible.

Thanks for your replies, I had noticed they always faced the player but always thought something could be done about it... B and A sound more realistic for me haha

Appreciate the responses guys! I'll see what I can do! Locking for now