So my grandfather passed this afternoon.

Author Topic: So my grandfather passed this afternoon.  (Read 1150 times)

My grandfather, Henry, died of lung cancer today.  While everyone was in the kitchen, he finally passed in peace.  For the past week he's been in a very vegetative, state, not even himself.  Our guess was that the cancer had spread to his brain.  He was able to understand that he was being spoken too but could no longer respond coherently, only in grunts.  For a while he laid in a chair, eyes partially closed and mouth open, because he was unable to control himself.  It was really, really sad, and hard to see him in the state he was in, when just a few months ago he looked so healthy and full of life, even with cancer.

Finally, he is no longer in pain or suffering.  The wake is being held Sunday and the funeral will be Monday.  I unfortunately never had a private moment to speak to him before he passed.  I had wanted to thank him for all he's done for me and for everyone, and tell him that I love him, because I don't tell him often.

He was always a kind person who was always willing to help those in need, using the business he built himself, a plumbing and heating business to do so.  Not only did he serve his community, but he also served his country in Vietnam.  He was drafted for two years in the U.S. Army, and is the recipient of a purple heart, among other things.  He never really spoke of his experience in Vietnam, so there's nothing really I can tell about it.

I know, I know, I'm getting all emotional and personal and stuff, but I just needed to get it off my chest, I've had a lot of my mind today.

Thanks for reading dudes.

R.i.p your grandfather
:(

I'm sorry for your loss. Just remember all the good memories you had with your grandfather, and thank him for everything he's done. Wherever he is, he'll hear it.

And remember: it's okay to cry.

that was beautiful

cue the cliche "my condolences" posts, but even though they're cliche just know that we care, op.

so with that in mind, my condolences, friend. have a happy life afterward and i hope you can be emotionally ok.

its gonna be kk man

my grandpa who is still currently alive suffers from memory loss. i was pretty close to him aswell. every time i go to visit i have to introduce myself because he doesn't remember me, it sorta hurts me inside but i still know that hes my grandpa and i still do love him

I'm sorry for your loss. Just remember all the good memories you had with your grandfather, and thank him for everything he's done. Wherever he is, he'll hear it.

yes.

I'm sorry. :(

I hope you and your family feel better soon.

Oh trust me, I know.  I've shed my fair share of tears today.  But my dad told me just to stay strong especially in front of my grand mother.  So I've been doing that all day pretty much.

Thank you all for your condolences internet strangers.  They are much appreciated.

RIP, hope you and your family can get through this tough time.

My grandparents are still somewhat young (relatively speaking) just because they had kids young and so did my parents, but I'm not looking forward to the last days :/

It sucks when a family member you didn't really speak to but still love passes away. It really hurts in your chest.

My condolences.

op actually made me tear up a little bit.

hope things get better for your family.

Sorry for your loss. I've never had someone close die until just a couple weeks ago, I know how you feel.