24 (51.1%)
Yes
11 (23.4%)
Yes
7 (14.9%)
Yes
5 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: TANK MEGATHREAD  (Read 23086 times)

Russian BT-2

Russian BT-7

French FT

Come on more tanks! gogogo men!

Russian AT-1, Tank Destroyer

Tiger 1's tracks being fixed

Russian Kv-2

French D2 Heavy (I think)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:27:53 AM by Agent Legit 22 »

American Cold War Tanks:
M41 Bulldog (Light Tank):

1953- 1960
Notes: Replaced the outdated Chaffee tanks.

M551 Sheridan:

1969-1996
Notes: An Amphibious and airdeployable light tank. It had Aluminum armor which made it vulnerable to everything, but small arms. They tank was capable of firing 152mm caseless ammo and a missile.

M46 Patton (Medium Tank):

1950s, quickly replaced my the M47
Notes: This tank came into service as an improvement over the M26 Pershing tanks.

M47 Patton (Medium Tank):

1950s - Early 1960s
Notes: Was a pretty short lived tank like the M46 Patton. Both tanks were equipped with 90mm guns.

M48 Patton (Medim Tank):

1953-mid 1990s
Notes: Was the standard Medium tank armored with a 90mm gun until Vietnam. After Vietnam the tank was one of the last American tanks to use the 90mm gun, which was replaced after the Vietnam war with a 105mm gun to keep it up to standard with the M60 tank.

M103 (Heavy Tank):

1957-1974
Notes: One of the first tanks in American service to use the 120mm gun. However Ammunition was loaded as a two piece system. It was designed to counter the Soviet Heavy tanks like the IS-3 and T-10. The tank was quickly phased out due to complications and the fact that heavy tanks were outdated for the modern battlefield.

M60 Patton (MBT):

1961-1997
notes: The first MBT to enter American service as well as being one of the first to use the 105mm gun. It did not see action in Vietnam, as they were either stationed in Europe. However the tank did see action in the Gulf War. The tank has seen more action in Foreign service. It also briefly served along side the newer M1 tanks until it was phased out in 1997.

M60A2 "Starship":

service: 1980s, quickly phased out
Notes: This tank was designed as a place holder for the prototype MBT-70. It featured a laser range finder. It was armored with the same 152mm gun on the Sheridan. It was capable of firing 152mm caseless ammo and the Shillelagh gun launched guided missile. The tank was quickly phased out and replaced with the M60A3 patton. It should also be noted that it was called the Starship because of its space age technology and confusing/complicated controls.

M1 Abrams series (MBT):

1980-Present
Notes: Entering service in 1980 as the M1 Abrams, it was the second MBT to enter service. Early versions were had steel armor an a 105mm gun. These version were soon replaced by the short lived M1IP Abrams in 1984, which had a longer turret. Eventually these were soon upgraded to the M1A1 Abrams in 1985 which gave the tank a 120mm gun. Later upgrades like the M1A1HA and HC gave the tanks depleted uranium armor inserts. At one point in time both the Patton and Abrams tanks served together, however in the late 1990s the Patton was retired from service which left the Abrams as the only tank in American service to this day.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 02:02:20 PM by Harm94 »

Holy stuff, learn to edit your posts. You have 4 posts in a row on this one page.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:49:28 AM by tnatsissA »

I need more tanks
Come on more tanks! gogogo men!

Jesus christ you posted this like 10 times already, what the forget do you have a weird tank special interest or something.

I agree, slow down a bit on the posting.

Panzer III

British Black Prince

Maus

Sheridan was a cool tank.

People consistently say this tank destroyer is a pile of garbage. I don't understand why. I actually got into an argument with like three people over this thing in the last tank thread.

Sheridan was a cool tank.

People consistently say this tank destroyer is a pile of garbage. I don't understand why. I actually got into an argument with like three people over this thing in the last tank thread.
Stryker MGS:
The purpose of the stryker was to be fast mobile transport that could be airlifted/airdropped. However it was soon found to be too heavy for the C-130. There is a video of a stryker being dropped from a globe master, but they never showed it landing. If you watch a video of it shooting from the sides, you will notice it rocks a little. It wouldn't want to be in that thing if it was on a sloped surface.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlRv1Iz2cUs

A lot of people prefer the M8 AGS over the Stryker MGS and I hear recently the light tank program has been reactivated:

Caliber:
Both the M8 AGS and the Stryker MGS use a 105mm gun. While the idea behind the AGS was to have a light tank that could support infantry, however the MGS was built as a tank destroyer in mind. In the 1980s the US army realized the L7 105mm gun was obsolete and in response the 120mm gun was equipped on all the M1 Abrams tanks. The older M1 and M1IP were equipped with 105mm guns which were decent, but the soviets had the T-80, T-64, and T-72s. All three of those soviet tanks had a 125mm gun and could have composite armor added on to them. Meanwhile the British and Germans had 120mm armed tanks like the Challenger, Chieftain and Leopard 2. So the Abrams was upgraded to the M1A1 with a 120mm gun.

So basically an 105mm gun out there is useless on the modern battlefield. Its the same reason there are hardly any 105mm gun tanks left in NATO. France phased out the AMX-30, the M60 was phased out in the us, the Leopard 1 was phased out in Germany. The only exception are Canada is slowly replaces their Leopard 1s with Leopard 2s, and Turkey who fields are mix of Leopard 1s, M60 tanks equipped with either 105mm and 120mm guns. So basically the mgs would just be a used to support infantry in non tank country was a fire support vehicle.

A decent enough gun based tank destroyer would be the Type 89:

However during the cold war gun based TDs were phased out with missile based ones. The tow carrying version of the stryker would be a better choice, same with the Hellfire based system in the works for the USMC Patria AMV.