Author Topic: how the actual forget do I uninstall avg?  (Read 4452 times)

Ok, so my dad installed avg on the home pc awhile back (prolly why the thing is a piece o' stuff now) and recently gave it to me. I use it as aspare and to host bl servers. Recently its been lagging like stuff and I think the problem is that AVG pops up constantly and is in a perpetual hardcore virus scan. I have tried uninstalling it but it just comes back up when I restart my pc. Ive also heard that the AVG uninstaller kit doesnt work either. I want to ax murder this loving program, pls help.

if its a really old computer thats been used by the family for years, theres probably all kinds of junk on it slowing it down. It would probably just be best to wipe it and start on a clean slate

if its a really old computer thats been used by the family for years, theres probably all kinds of junk on it slowing it down. It would probably just be best to wipe it and start on a clean slate
ya there is some stuff on there that I plan on removing. But my dad was pretty strict about not letting the family install things on it. Im still gunna try to avoid da clean slate idea

Jesus christ I'm getting war flashbacks here. Trying to uninstall AVG was without a doubt the worst thing I've ever had to endure in my life. Uninstalling a program should not give you this much trouble. Seriously, everything about AVG is garbage. The program itself is stuff. Its "defenses" are stuff. And to top it all off, you can't even uninstall it normally.

About 2 years ago I had to uninstall it because it was loving everything up, blocking nearly everything I tried to run. It took me one hour. I don't remember how I did it but it was horrible.

Jesus christ I'm getting war flashbacks here. Trying to uninstall AVG was without a doubt the worst thing I've ever had to endure in my life. Uninstalling a program should not give you this much trouble. Seriously, everything about AVG is garbage. The program itself is stuff. Its "defenses" are stuff. And to top it all off, you can't even uninstall it normally.

About 2 years ago I had to uninstall it because it was loving everything up, blocking nearly everything I tried to run. It took me one hour. I don't remember how I did it but it was horrible.
did yoj manually delete it or did you actually find a way to uninstall it?

also im getting flashbacks of uninstalling Norton.

avg is the stuffest add-on out there, it messes about with the browser. I had it once and it took me 10 minutes to get rid of it, for others it takes loads more time because the toolbar is messed up

I remember once a program forced a surprise install of AVG on me, intentionally hiding it in an array of random HIT THE YES BUTTON TO CONTINUES (What the forget is with this nonsense) None of them had to do with installing anything but I managed to catch on when it popped up, apparently I couldn't download said program from said site without downloading said AVG. I simply closed the installer but it tried to install AVG on me anyways. Despite immediately ctrl alt deleting and terminating the process it managed to pile on 3 applications onto my pc which immediately high-jacked it and forgeted with my browser. As it turns out, AVG also installs these sort of ghost apps that prevent you from uninstalling AVG or changing your browser, these programs also attempt to restart if you end their processes. I wound up having to use a batch file to ignore typical system protocol and delete those app files at the exact instant I shut the application down; then deleted all of AVG's files, then uninstalled them formally. That forgeter is no longer on my pc, and never will be. But expect to have to do some funky stuff to get it removed.

The moral being that every stuffty program will try to find every annoying way to latch onto your pc even if it's supposedly anti-virus. You will likely need to use google to find a formal way to delete it, or you can try my method, just gotta figure out if its using any special ghost programs to keep it running.

fail
And this is why you install rogue programs in a sandbox.

If avast didnt have such a sketchy name, I could prolly convince my dad to stop installing AVG on every new PC we buy.

And this is why you install rogue programs in a sandbox.

It wasn't a rouge program, it was essentially Adobe flash player except it was a special version of it that I needed to run on some bizzare OS that my comp sci professor wanted me to use. (That stuff is stupid)

It was essentially required utility that I apparently installed from the wrong place. stuff happens son, but god damn AVG is cancerous. If you want non-shifty anti-virus grab Security Essentials and just be smart about opening suspicious e-mails. (A large quantity of viruses come from opening e-mails and visiting shifty websites, just be smart and you shouldn't even need it, except in rare cases where you have to install drivers for third party programs, that want you to install some stupid browser with them, that stuff needs to be illegal.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:29:28 AM by Rykuta »

AVG uninstaller?
I used the Norton uninstaller and it worked, but idk if it'll work for that
try just normally uninstalling it

AVG uninstaller?
I used the Norton uninstaller and it worked, but idk if it'll work for that
try just normally uninstalling it
have you ever tried to uninstall AVG before?

norton uninstaller worked for me too. But the AVG uninstaller isnt working. It says its uninstalled but all the files are still there and when I restart my pc the program pops up and runs a quick scan and asks me to rebllt to install updates.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:50:18 AM by GhostStar »

have you ever tried to uninstall AVG before?
yes
I had to reinstall windows

When I tried to download the AVG uninstaller, AVG blocked it from downloading lol