Author Topic: Recommend me a Windows 8 laptop.  (Read 717 times)

My budget is $370.

Here is my current specs:
CPU: Genuine Intel CPU 575 @ 1.995GHz
RAM: 1937MB
Screen Size: 1280x800
HDD Size: 144.9GB

Touch screen is not necessary, but I would like to have one if it is an option. I won't be using it for gaming or anything like that, so it doesn't need to be some super high-end laptop or anything like that. I would also like a fairly large hard drive because I plan to dual boot with Arch Linux.

And nothing used. I have been using old hardware for years. My current laptop is very old and has several problems. (Faulty battery, cracked case on one side, etc.)

EDIT: It also needs to have a VGA output.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:22:20 PM by blueblur121 »

Why would you want to use Windows? Linux is way better

$370 is very low, I don't know if you can get anything that's not utter stuff around that price

also if touch screen support isnt a requirement for you, W7 is superior to W8 by every metric

also a lot of W8 systems are very unfriendly with dual boot (it was a massive chore to do 7 and 8 on mine for example)

what are your primary uses for this system

lmao no it isn't

You should try to get one with Windows 8.1. It's a lot smoother and runs faster, unless you can update it from that laptop.
Also you aren't going to get a decent one for $370. You can probably buy a HP one for around that price.
This is around your price, if this is decent enough.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:20:35 PM by Benjamin Lopez »

I already use Linux. And if you had any ability to read, you would know that I plan to dual boot.

what are your primary uses for this system
I want to do what I am currently doing, but faster. My only requirement for the specs is that it is better than what I currently have. And I want to dual boot Windows 8 with Linux. I don't care how hard it is to do that.

You should try to get one with Windows 8.1. It's a lot smoother and runs faster, unless you can update it from that laptop.
Also you aren't going to get a decent one for $370. You can probably buy a HP one for around that price.
Windows 8.1 is a free update to Windows 8. And my definition of decent is very different from yours. I just want one with better specs than my current one which is like seven years old. If I can't afford that with what I have, then that really sucks.

Here is are* my current specs:
CPU: Genuine Intel CPU 575 @ 1.995GHz meh
RAM: 1937MB ew
Screen Size: 1280x800 eww
HDD Size: 144.9GB [EW INTENSIFIES]
if i were you i would get a decent pc before getting a laptop first

if i were you i would get a decent pc before getting a laptop first
What the forget. What part of this thread made you think that I wanted a high-end computer.

I was sharing my specs to show that I wanted to replace my current laptop with another one.

And no, I will not be getting a desktop.

Dell/Lenovo got some nice stuff around

just be careful when buying from dell

I have seen a whole bunch of really cheap ones on the microsoft store that were selling for up to $200 off because they don't have 8.1.

Any of these look good?

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/list/Laptops/categoryID.62685400##/filter=[200%20TO%20249.99],[250%20TO%20499.99]&sort=undefined
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:28:04 PM by blueblur121 »

i think you need to put [nobbc] around that url

wait stuff that broke it more aaa

>select
>right click
>open link in new tab

Unless you plebs are using chrome. Hah. Then you have to copy and paste that stuff.