How to: drama

Author Topic: How to: drama  (Read 7928 times)

--DISCLAIMER--
This drama is geared towards nobody in particular. People who have previously posted dramas may realize that they fit into one category, or both, depending on the part of the drama. This is not to criticize them. The purpose of this is to come together as an online community and create better, more informational dramas. This will not fix trolls. This will not prevent internet-rage. This will not prevent silly arguments and thread-derails. But if it means ONE drama is made well, then I've done my job.

Purpose--
Back to the top

The purpose of drama, as can be observed across a multitude of threads and posts, is to identify problem-users: spammers, hackers, exploiters, bullies, tribals, etc. One would think drama to be an easy-to-post kind of place, considering it's basic format is "X did this, I don't like what X did." However, there is much more to it than that, and it is because of this idea that the line of 'acceptable drama' and a rage-fest gets blurred. Drama is not the place to have a grudge match or to get even with someone. This is not debate club. This is not congress. Even though you will see practically everyone say "support" or "no support" at some point, it holds no significant meaning. We do not vote to have keys revoked, we do not vote for admins, we do not vote for anything, because Badspot has never historically listened to those votes.

To this end, it is important to point out that Badspot does watch over drama. If you are going to be banned anywhere on the forum, it is more than likely in drama. The rules are much stricter here, and the audience is much more hostile. Anything that is perceived as breaking the rules is immediately pointed out and reported. Tread carefully.

Titles--
Back to the top

Go to the top of the page, right click "Drama," open in new tab, and look through the first three pages of drama. What are the titles like? Are they "Joeshmoe is a loving idiot!!" Or are they "Joeshmoe relay spams servers"?

GOOD TITLES vs BAD TITLES
Shiro2 - Using float hack to his advantage v  "Brickcake" - Quit the forums friend
Identifies the offender and the offense v at first glance, it appears that the poster is telling Brick to quit. Upon reading the drama, he's quoting Brickcake. Title formating!
Abusing admin- Left 4 Dead Hunter v Doom Mantis
Identifies the offender and the offense v identifies the offender, but not the offense. What about Doom? Does he have pretty eyes? Did he paint you a picture? Send nudes?
Rockhyenastar17 - Extremely immature and annoying v Prokiller10, stop with this Block Cube stuff.
Identifies the offender and the offense v identifies the offender and aggressively identifies the offense.

While scrolling through drama, a majority of people are looking for familiar names, or perhaps servers. Having a good title is important, as it dictates who will look at the drama. Titles should not be ambiguous or aggressive, they should be informative. You shouldn't be trying to insult the user with the title (or the entire drama, for that matter.) If someone hacks on your favorite server and you're writing a drama, you don't title it "Stupid loving hacker ruins all servers he goes to," you title it something along the lines of "Joeshmoe - hacked AdinX's server." You can earn or lose a lot of credibility with your title, so it's important to set the right kind of impression.

Evidence--
Back to the top

So you have a title, now you need to tell people what happened. That would be under content, this tab is evidence. I know I'm going to get gripe over this, and I really could not care less: include evidence. It is too easy to lie to get your way on things. I could easily state "Badspot came on my server and cleared all my bricks!!" Nobody would believe me unless I had images to prove it. But even then, you can fake images. Chat logs are easy to fake, provided you can use either console or you know how to color text with events. Not all evidence is damning, and not every drama needs 'evidence.' If you were on a server with 30 players and half the server can confirm what you've said, that's basically the same thing.

There is no real good or bad way to share evidence, there are a couple things you can do to present them. I've experimented with drama for a good 2 years, so I've seen a lot of different ways to share evidence. In my own opinion, the best way to go about it is to have one image on your drama, whichever is the MOST crucial (someone breaking the rules, spamming bricks, etc, CAUGHT in the action), and then include a link to an album of the other pictures.

A couple examples of dramas that have had good evidence:
Port's Parkour Bounty Hunter: Understaffed
MARBLE MAN is out
Keith - Annoying little kid on the forums
On the topic of evidence:
Stop asking for evidence
As an observer, be aware that EVERYTHING can be faked with the right effort and skills:
Badspot hacked my server!
Zapk, Pass, TwenteFreak and Furdle: group attack
TristanLuigi, Game, Brickcake and Mr.LoL - another group attack
image hosting sites

Content--
Back to the top

Content is king

So you have your pictures, you have your title, now you need to explain what happened. Don't do a one-word drama. I shouldn't even have to cover this but I'm doing it anyways: what happened, when did it happen, who was affected, what was lost, what was the offender's BL_ID, is there anything about the screenshots that needs further explanation, etc. There's no real GOOD way to order a drama, other than just the order in which stuff happened. As long as you can identify things like who, what, when, where, you should be solid. I HIGHLY recommend having another player proof-read your drama. This will eliminate spelling errors, give you a second opinion and will prevent you from getting hot-headed. You are much more likely to post a hateful drama about someone for something minor on your own, than you are in a group.

Posting--
Back to the top

You've posted your drama and it's been about an hour. People are responding. Some people support, some really don't care, maybe one or two oppose the drama, and occasionally the offender will post in the drama. I cannot predict every scenario in drama, as drama is one of the most versatile boards. What may get one person banned, may not get another banned. It's all context. Generally the same ideas in making the topic apply to making a post: be respectful, be informative, this isn't debate-club nor is it a fight. Slinging names with another forumer won't improve your argument, and it won't make your point any more valid.

Conclusion--
Back to the top

Guys seriously just get a grip, too many dramas are "I loving hate this guy!!" with a picture of them hammering your build after you gave them your trust. Drama is for pointing out the trouble-makers, not for grudge-matches.

inb4Snakedderailsthethread

~ an official drama guide by AdinX

this really should be stickied because dumbasses

this drama topic has gotten more of a message across than any other drama topic

Stick it badspot.

STICK IT.

Don't bother asking for a sticky. Do you think Badspot cares whether dramas are formatted properly or not?

AdinX is like the god of drama topics. He knows how to get stuff done. Sticky dis pls.

The only way to win is to not play the game.

i'll be sure to ban how to from my server
Needed.

The only way to win is to not play the game.
And become Kalphiter's mindless zombie :)