48 (24.2%)
EMCA
13 (6.6%)
Ruby
6 (3%)
Other
77 (38.9%)

Total Members Voted: 198

Author Topic: If Blockland got a new scripting language, what would you pick?  (Read 9723 times)

Well that one's my little secret :]
Man, don't pull that stuff. If you aren't going to share resources, don't be a richard and brag about it.

Man, don't pull that stuff. If you aren't going to share resources, don't be a richard and brag about it.

It's not a resource. It's something I've put literally hundreds of hours into figuring out, and requires an extensive knowledge of how Blockland works to even be useful. It's not like I'm importing the headers from TGE and performing magic, I have to search through the Blockland executable to find the address of each and every function and every data value I need to use. Here's some of the hooks I generate in that project:

http://pastebin.com/as5BghRu

I changed the addresses to appease Badspot, but it's not some resource I can just link to. Best I got is my old work over at the BRP that was extremely unfinished.

I didn't mean "how" technically. I understand that it's a lot of work, I meant how can it be used. That is extremely cool.

I didn't mean "how" technically. I understand that it's a lot of work, I meant how can it be used. That is extremely cool.
This

It being faster than torquescript most likely, and its just really amazing to see another scripting language work with games designed to use a specific one. (Blockland)

Pretty impressive, i couldn't have pulled this off (laziness)

It can be used to do anything you can imagine. Those snips come from some code I have to generate terrain procedurally as you walk in any direction and automatically remove bricks outside your view distance. The result is something that seems like infinite terrain and supports upwards of 30 consecutive 'groups' of players (people who share a view obviously use less bricks than someone on their own). Since all the generation and everything is done in C++ instead of Torque, it operates with no lag whatsoever. It can also be used to modify the games base to your liking. One thing that I want to work on sometime in the near future is the idea of selective ghosting, or only sending objects to certain clients. That way stuff like the 256k brick limit can go away almost entirely, you only scope the important bricks (nearby bricks) to each client. Another thing that I want to do at some point is rewrite the entire sound engine.

i've always wanted to be able to selectively send objects to clients. it would be awesome for things like location markers or heat goggles the illuminate players.

i've always wanted to be able to selectively send objects to clients. it would be awesome for things like location markers or heat goggles the illuminate players.
These are also possibilities of selective ghosting. Things like markers over teammates and location markers are useful for game modes.

So do you plan on distributing this and introducing a kind of JS Add-On system?

It depends. Probably not publicly. Badspot just wouldn't allow it. But to specific add-on makers who have good use for it, sure. I listed good things you can do with this power, there's plenty that are equally bad.

Well that one's my little secret :]

Here's a snip of code from another one of my projects, which demonstrates how much more I can do.

http://pastebin.com/2qviBV7S
didn't you get offered a job at google

I've been 1-upped!

didn't you get offered a job at google
Sort of. They let me skip the application process, I went straight to interviews. But the issue was that the interviews can take up to 9 months, and I was going to start college in about 4 months. So I would have had to either bail on college and base my life on whether or not I get a job at Google, or go to college and end up paying a buttload of money for tuition and go to the first half of classes just to find out that it was a waste of money anyway because I wont be able to finish the credits out before I move over to Google HQ. In the end the recruiter and I decided that it'd be best for me to contact the recruitment department directly when I finish college if I'm still interested in Google, and in the mean time he forwarded my info to the internship recruitment team for consideration next summer.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 02:06:25 AM by $trinick »

I've been 1-upped!
Sort of. They let me skip the application process, I went straight to interviews. But the issue was that the interviews can take up to 9 months, and I was going to start college in about 4 months. So I would have had to either bail on college and base my life on whether or not I get a job at Google, or go to college and end up paying a buttload of money for tuition and go to the first half of classes just to find out that it was a waste of money anyway because I wont be able to finish the credits out before I move over to Google HQ. In the end the recruiter and I decided that it'd be best for me to contact the recruitment department directly when I finish college if I'm still interested in Google, and in the mean time he forwarded my info to the internship recruitment team for consideration next summer.
i looked over everything and this seems really neat
now, what is the potential for this javascript thing you're doing in blockland?
like what are the possibilities?
maps?
different shading?
other things?

i looked over everything and this seems really neat
now, what is the potential for this javascript thing you're doing in blockland?
like what are the possibilities?
maps?
different shading?
other things?
well I assume it would be for scripting stuff like what we use torquescript for already