Poll

REMOVE KEBAB

REMOVE KEBAB remove kebab you are of worst turk
CHEEKI BREEKI

Author Topic: [NEWS] today is the 100th anniversary of the beginning of world war 1  (Read 1197 times)

newspaper of today, 100 years ago, by the washington times

100 years ago to this day, the war to end all wars began

the relatively unimportant austro-hungarian empire reached is apex and subsequent dissolution
the already melting ottoman empire became a puddle following the end of the war
the empire of germany went from being an established industrial power to a sad example of being on the wrong side of the fence

and most importantly

the treaty of versailles brought it to an end, kickstarting the most terrible conflict in the history of humankind

SERBIA STRONK!
okay not so much

the treaty of versailles brought it to an end, kickstarting the most terrible conflict in the history of humankind
It was all Austria's(and hungary) fault.

the 100th anniversary of Serbia sticking it in Franz Ferdinand's pooper

They don't teach WWI in school so I have no idea what happened.

I only know it lead to Germany becoming economical stuff-land and Riddler rose to power because of it.

let's dig some trenches in its honor

I only know it lead to Germany becoming economical stuff-land and Riddler rose to power because of it.
it started by Serbia assassinating Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria
then Austria was like 'YO WTF' and declared war
then a whole bunch of other countries joined in because of treaties or w/e

it was an inevitable conflict that involved a ridiculously intricate web of treaties and alliances built throughout the 19th century

as soon as the terrorist organization black hand assassinated franz ferdinand of austria, austria demanded serbia take some action in apprehending those involved (to which they ignored)

as a result, the austro-hungarian empire declared war upon serbia, calling austria's ally of germany and serbia's ally of russia into the war, which in turn brought in the english and the french and the americans and the ottomans and the bulgarians and the japanese and the romanians and the portuguese and the greeks and on and on and on

how convenient I took an interest in trenches recently

"war to end all wars"

what about world war 2

"war to end all wars"

what about world war 2
well it was known as the "war to end all wars" at the time

obviously that isn't true but that's history for you

well it was known as the "war to end all wars" at the time

obviously that isn't true but that's history for you
more like thats the human race for ya

I still prefer "The Great War" as a title for it.

It truly was a depressing war. Crazy to think that no one saw how poorly everyone was fighting.
Trench warfare consisted of miles of trenches opposite each other, and every now and then hundreds of men stand up and walk towards the line of machine guns and rifles as they fire.
And then several hours later, the opposite side did the same. Rinse and repeat.

And to top it all off, after the war had ended and 30 odd million people had died, civilians and soldiers.
And then not long after, Spanish Flu killed 50-100 million more. About 4-8% of the world population died within 6 years of war and disease.