The GNU/Linux Megathread - Questions, Information, Suggestions and Other Talk

Author Topic: The GNU/Linux Megathread - Questions, Information, Suggestions and Other Talk  (Read 1109 times)

GNU/Linux is a free software operating system created by Linus Torvalds in 1991. Widely used for servers and professional workstations, in recent years, the use of the operating system on standard desktops/laptops has started to become much more widespread. For more information, you can visit the Wikipedia article on Linux by clicking here. This thread is here to share your knowledge on the free operating system, ask questions, and even post screenshots and suggestions, and was created because I saw quite a few people using/asking about GNU/Linux.

GNU/Linux comes in many varieties to suit your needs. Some distributions are designed at giving you complete control of your system by allowing you to install only what you want/need and are thus harder to use. However, there also exists distributions designed for ease-of-use.

APT-based
Generally easier to use and install.

Debian - The base of many other distributions, and widely used on servers. Debian aims to be rock solid, stable, and easy to use.
Ubuntu - One of the most widely used in personal computing. Ease of use, multiple flavors and a broad range of software make Ubuntu what it is.
Linux Mint - Another widely used distribution in personal computing. Known for creating Cinnamon and adopting the use of MATE.
Trisquel - A distribution based off of Ubuntu. Unlike the others listed, Trisquel is made of fully free and open source software and offers no proprietary software in their repositories or support for proprietary software.

Pacman-based
Harder to install but gives you more control of what software is installed initially. Uses a rolling release model.

Arch Linux - A lightweight distribution that tries to maintain the KISS principle.
Manjaro - Based off of Arch Linux and designed to be friendlier to beginners.
Parabola - Almost identical to Arch Linux, but like Trisquel, is made of only free and open source software and only offers it in their repositories.

Yum-based
Well supported and easy to use.

Fedora - Aims to be the most innovative distribution. Used by Linus Torvalds, the creator of the Linux kernel.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - Widely used commercial distribution derived from Fedora. Very rock solid and stable.
CentOS - A free, enterprise-class distribution that aims to be 100% compatible with Red Hat. Essentially the same, but unlike Red Hat, offers no commercial support. Widely used on servers.
Oracle Linux - A Red Hat based distribution that offers optional commercial support, but is otherwise free to use and deploy.

Portage-based
Much harder to use and setup, but offers more control.

Gentoo - An operating system that's installed by compiling all of the software on your own computer. Typically offers no binaries and only source code.

Source Code Only
Only for true installation wizards.

Linux From Scratch - You start with nothing but documentation. You thought Gentoo was hard to use? Try this and report back.

DE's, or Desktop Environments, offer a complete environment for you to work in. There are many different types to fit your needs.

More Complete/heavyweight
Offers almost all of the base software you could need, and is usually tightly integrated.

GNOME - A desktop environment that aims to be easy to use.
KDE - A desktop environment that traditionally offers more eye-candy out-of-the-box than others.
Cinnamon - Designed to feel like GNOME 2, but build off of GNOME 3 technology.
MATE - A fork of GNOME 2. Aims to offer a more traditional desktop experience.
Unity - Aims to bring simplicity, power, and integration into a desktop.

Less Complete/lightweight
Uses up less resources and isn't as tightly integrated. Individual components can be replaced easier.

Xfce - Designed to be fast and low on resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly. Comparable to GNOME 2 and MATE.
LXDE - Very lightweight and fast. Not tightly integrated, and components are easily replaceable.

More advanced GNU/Linux users tend to use WM's, or Window Managers, in place of Desktop Environments.

Tiling
Unlike stacking WM's, tiling WM's tend to organize windows onto the screen into non-overlapping tiles. Here is a Wikipedia article with more information.

Awesome - Aims to be extremely small and fast. Highly customizable using Lua.
DWM - Dynamic and minimalistic tiling WM.

Stacking
More traditional, coordinate-based and able to overlap other windows.

Compiz - Turns your desktop into a 3D cube while windows jiggle around on your screen. Extremely pretty, not very lightweight.
Openbox - Highly configurable and lightweight window manager.
Window Maker - Aims to reproduce the look and feel of NeXTSTEP. Also used for GNUstep.

Wiki's
ArchWiki - Useful information for Arch Linux and derivatives.
Ubuntu Wiki - Useful information for Ubuntu.
Debian Wiki - Useful information for Debian and derivatives.
Gentoo Wiki - Useful information for Gentoo.

News/Updates
DistroWatch - A large, up-to-date list of distributions and news relating to them.
Phoronix - Hardware reviews, software news and benchmarking.
LWN.net - Linux and free software related news.

More info to come soon, feel free to contribute anything that fits with this topic.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:46:41 AM by Miga »

Reserved for later use...

all because my face summoned you...

i should switch to linux but windows just...works for me.

one of these days it will happen...

all because my face summoned you...

Never underestimate the power of Tommy's face, everybody.

I met Richard Stallman once and he threw a hissy fit when someone said Linux without the GNU.

I met Richard Stallman once and he threw a hissy fit when someone said Linux without the GNU.

Linux gets old after a while, I just recently switched back to windows because I got tired of using the console for basically everything.

Linux gets old after a while, I just recently switched back to windows because I got tired of using the console for basically everything.

i just like the the feel of it. i use windows 8 and i'm not bothering to move all my stuff onto an external drive.

the logistics for me of switching OS's is too much for me now :(.

As someone who's used Linux for the past 2 years almost exclusively, I disagree. But, to each their own. I can see people getting annoyed at having to use the terminal for a fair bit of stuff.

makng linux from scratch?
I might actually try this as a side project

Oh
And whats Gentoo Linux like?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:30:16 PM by Becquerel »

As someone who's used Linux for the past 2 years almost exclusively, I disagree. But, to each their own. I can see people getting annoyed at having to use the terminal for a fair bit of stuff.
Well, I mainly installed linux because it was beautiful. I had fun compiling programs and stuff, but there wasn't a lot of software, either. Well, either way, I still had good times with it. Used it for 6 months.

Oh
And whats Gentoo Linux like?

Easier than LFS, but you still have to compile everything, basically.

this thread is so much better than the original one i made

You came back? Hi

Also I run ubuntu dual-boot on my laptop to be different