Author Topic: how2model  (Read 1532 times)

So, I've decided to start modeling for Blockland. Not necessarily for posting addons and stuff, but just for the sake of knowing. Unfortunately I have no idea where to begin, nor how to start modeling anything.
What I'm asking for is a simple guide on where to start.

What programs should I use?

What's a good way to practice?

What should I model?

How 2 model?

I really don't like asking people for step-by-step guides, but that's really what I need.  Maybe I'll finally understand what "lowering the polygon level", and stuff like that. I'm not asking how to model really detailed weapons or something, just some basic advice on where to start, and how to do it. Thanks!

The most important thing is to find a program that makes sense to you, really. You could have the greatest tools in the world and it wouldn't mean anything if you spent 10 minutes fumbling over the interface.

The most important thing is to find a program that makes sense to you, really. You could have the greatest tools in the world and it wouldn't mean anything if you spent 10 minutes fumbling over the interface.

Ok. Which programs are available? I know there's Blender, but I've also heard of some others.

Ok. Which programs are available? I know there's Blender, but I've also heard of some others.
Here you go.

For some people, modeling comes as basically a natural ability once you start. I would recommend using Blender, Milkshape, or Sketchup for 3D modeling.

For some people, modeling comes as basically a natural ability once you start. I would recommend using Blender, Milkshape, or Sketchup for 3D modeling.

Alright, I've downloaded Sketchup and I'm messing around with some of the features and what not. So how should I start? Do I just make a box and shape it up? How does everyone else do it?

first you need to make a skeleton for your avatar if your not making a avatar start making a box i have a tutorail on milkshape https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQ9TT19Ajw&list=UUQNM2mPWmfPPAJQQoP4bd4A

I like milkshape the most becuase its simpel and easy