How have your parents tried to shield you from the internet?

Author Topic: How have your parents tried to shield you from the internet?  (Read 3568 times)

Seriously though, my parents never really tried to shield me.

When we first got proper internet access in about 2005/6 (prior to that we'd been in and out of a couple rented houses and never had an internet setup, and before that the best my parents had was 90's dialup) we got started with AOL as our ISP.
They had their own AOL web browser (which was alright for the time), and it also did child accounts.

My parents set up a child account for me and it would only let me go on the AOL child website, which had some terrible games and things on it.
If I wanted to go anywhere else I would have to send an e-mail to my parents asking for permission, and they'd have to log in on their account and give it.
It was basically a hastle, so they just let me on their account. I'd already been using the internet a little bit on game websites and YouTube at primary school anyway.

And then after that, when the family has had more than one computer and I've gotten older, there's been little in the way of them interfering with me.
They'd give me talks about research and being careful, but I wasn't likely to put my self at risk anyway.

when maroon called my house my parents thought the whole forum is nothing but creeps and stalkers
and they thought i automatically give out personal info whenever i get on the internet
so they blocked my desktop access and took my wii
the laptop didnt matter because the wifi adapter driver was broken anyways

when maroon called my house my parents thought the whole forum is nothing but creeps and stalkers
he just wanted to give you some art feedback

i remember when i was like 15 and playing roblox and stuff they thought literally everyone that chatted was a stranger l0l

https://www.netnanny.com/blog/if-facebook-is-the-new-telephone-net-nanny-social-is-a-great-answering-machine/

when i was 6 my brother bought that for my mom and we used it for like 2 weeks, then we got tired of it because it blocked off anything and neither my mom nor my brother could get it off.
apparently research is "XXX"

Good thing my parents never decided to get Net Nanny.

and they thought i automatically give out personal info whenever i get on the internet
so they blocked my desktop access and took my wii
the laptop didnt matter because the wifi adapter driver was broken anyways
and now she drives you to strangers houses

Post 1337
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:05:24 AM by Starkiller »

Considering I had my own computer in my own room by the age of 7, I'm going to go ahead and say that haven't shielded me that much.

If my parents found out I downloaded illegal stuff (which I don't and will never do) I would be in big trouble

my parents sorta know I talk to people on the internet
and they disprove

but they haven't really done stuff about it.

If my parents found out I downloaded illegal stuff (which I don't and will never do) I would be in big trouble
Real Smooth

I wasn't allowed to have a computer in my room until I was 15 because my mom was worried I would watch research.
lol nice try mom

they don't care about what i do on the internet but they don't let me use the computer for too long

they'd be mad too if they found those tagged corpses i hung in the shed from meathooks(which i didn't and will never do)

As a kid I never watched South Park, the Simpsons, I never played Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh, I was homeschooled, and I wasn't allowed to play any games with blood in them. I spent a lot of my time reverse engineering some video games to remove the blood to appeal to my parents to let me play them. This was how I sort've got into modding.

Blockland has been the beginning and the bane of my internet addiction. Started here, did some stupid stuff, and my parents found out and banned me from the internet for like a year. Then I eventually got back to it, playing on Blockland and stuff, and I did something immensely stupid and wound up in some weird beta online relationship. This ended in disaster, as would be expected, and my parents banned me from everything for half a year and then for like a year afterwards I was on some weird internet filter. After continued fighting and rebellion my parents eventually just gave the forget up and stopped caring about what I do on the internet so long as I use my best judgement.

The only time someone ever cared was when our upload was stuck on 10mbit for half a day because I forgot to close a torrent after it finished loading.