Project Ara - creative phones are finally coming

Author Topic: Project Ara - creative phones are finally coming  (Read 1303 times)

whether i'm late or not, this phone is too good to pass by. with this phone, you can add different modules to it. broken screen? BUY A NEW SCREEN! want a better resolution camera? BUY A NEW CAMERA FOR IT! want a better GPU? BUY A BETTER GPU!

i can already see the mass of stores coming out with commercial modules for this phone
the creativity is endless

i remember hearing about this like two or three years ago, and unsurprisingly, like most good things, it seems to have gotten nowhere
what a shame

i remember hearing about this like two or three years ago, and unsurprisingly, like most good things, it seems to have gotten nowhere
what a shame

?
they're definitely getting somewhere

oh my god is there gonna be a fleshlight attachment like for the IPad

what a shame
Ya I forgot what it was called, phone blocks I think.

the only thing limiting this phone now is the frame! they've completely steered away from the lego type pins idea and went for a slide piece system instead. Another lovely tactic deployed to help control the parts of the phone.

they're definitely getting somewhere
i'll believe it when I see it

this was made because of this: http://youtu.be/oDAw7vW7H0c
The actual visual concept in this still looks better than what i'm seeing in the OP right now. I'd rather have a free range lego-ish block system.

they've completely steered away from the lego type pins idea
if i recall, the original poster of the project who moved into project ara explained, with help from the participating google team, why pins weren't going to work for this.
maybe i'm only thinking that was said though.

oh my god is there gonna be a fleshlight attachment like for the IPad
the forget is a fleshlight?

sorry to inform you but its basically the same thing as this:
https://phonebloks.com/en

this was made because of this: http://youtu.be/oDAw7vW7H0c
every actual engineer out there probably cut their wrists because of the logic behind it

i feel like this whole thing is going to go down in flames.
it sounds good. its just that apparently no one is smart enough to execute it. i mean come on look at the design on that motherboard. so many choices
go with the battery for example. do you see how disgustingly small it is? on top of that how do you expect to make a better battery without changing its size. even phoneblocks covered that correctly at least. like, its game over just from that.

and i still don't understand how these things stay together
some clown was talking about a permanent magnet that can switch on and off without energy. is it strong enough to survive a drop? when he demonstrated it it feels like if i hold it in my hands every component will slide off.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 10:27:35 PM by Blockzillahead »

The only problem with these is the way things plug in. Plugs will lower the IO and limit the performance. :(