Is Windows 8.1 a good upgrade?

Poll

Get 8.1???

Yay
21 (77.8%)
Nay
6 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Is Windows 8.1 a good upgrade?  (Read 2719 times)

I heard they were dropping support for windows 7 soon too, might want to look into that as well.

Nope, vista is getting the cut and soon after 7.

8.1 is great for gaming. Fastest sp I've ever had.

If it works then chances are its probably an upgrade.

The secret is getting it to work. I now know two people who updated to 8.1 and immediately regretted it. Ones entire PC just flat out broke the moment it tried, and the other had such an array of OS breaking glitches that upon getting it back to windows 8 ceased to exist.

Stay on windows 8 default, use classic shell or any of the mods available for it to make it like windows 7 if you want it improved. Don't risk breaking your PC just because windoze thinks its cool to have an 8.1 version.

I never needed to upgrade to 8.1 since i used Classic Shell. I will probably get Windows 10 when that comes out, so you should most defo wait for that. Maybe they will have that $40 offer like they did when Windows 8 came out.

Well I like it, and if you really feel the need to have the start menu, you can always get startisback as its the only of the many start menus that don't need to have an extra program running.

I honestly like it very much, it was a bit of a learning curve when you first start, but its one of those things that you get to learn easily.

The attachment is what my desktop currently looks like, only mods I used where Aero Glass, Windows 10 Desktop icons, and Metro Taskbar Icons, Rainmeter doesn't count as its a program but I did have to mod the meter...

NOTE:If you buy a copy of 8, prepare yourself for massive updates, and then you have to get 8.1 from the appstore.

Save yourself from this buy just buying 8.1 instead of 8.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 01:31:01 PM by ZERØ »

There is a lot of good information in this thread, and also a lot of people who are afraid of change.

From a fully objective point of view, 8.1 is a terrific upgrade for many reasons.
1. If you can get past the metro-ness of it all (using classic shell or w/e) you can make it behave exactly like windows 7
2. The boot times are insane. Like batstuff crazy. Soooo fast.
3. I've found it to be more stable overall.
4. Many of the utilities have been reworked and are considerably faster.
5. The OS is just faster overall, and also consumes less power (at least in my anecdotal case)

Other nice changes include a much nicer task manager with a lot more features if you're in to that kind of stuff and windows explorer is sooo much better than it used to be. It gives a nice little graph whenever you're moving a file and gives a lot more features if you want them.

Overall, save the new looks, windows 8.1 is better than windows 7, and the new looks in 8.1 can generally be fixed and reverted back to their windows 7 counterparts.

I've been using Windows 8.1 since January. It's pretty good, even though during February it crashed and I lost a bunch of stuff (which was pretty much my fault, a game froze up and i tried shutting off the computer through start menu and then forcefully turned it off), it's still held out. Even though at first it was a bit odd, you'll get used to it. The desktop mode is just like Windows 7, except the start menu isn't circular.

However, you can do pretty much the exact same stuff on your start menu like you could in Windows 7. All you have to do is just right click on it and bam, you've got search, file explorer, computer, etc and a bunch of other stuff. Thing is though, it doesn't look as pretty since it just seems to be a right click menu.

Most of the stuff I would say is pretty much what Sir Dooble just said, it's a good OS, has some pretty fast start-up times. I'd say it's a good upgrade from Windows 7 since Windows 7 support is soon to end. Also, it's default Antivirus that it comes with is just Microsoft Security Essentials, just a different name.

I've had 0 problems with Win8.1.

Literally 0.

I bought a windows 8.1 laptop and it works great. I added a start menu to it and it performs much better than windows 7. Though I would recommend waiting for windows 10 instead of going for 8.1.

I bought a windows 8.1 laptop and it works great. I added a start menu to it and it performs much better than windows 7. Though I would recommend waiting for windows 10 instead of going for 8.1.
Do we know if 8.1 owners get 10 for a discount?

I heard they were dropping support for windows 7 soon too, might want to look into that as well.
wot
wot
WOT
DEAR LORD WINDOWS HOW YOU FRUSTRATE ME
windows 7 is better all the way

wot
wot
WOT
DEAR LORD WINDOWS HOW YOU FRUSTRATE ME
windows 7 is better all the way
just looked it up, they plan to drop support on january 13th, 2015.

Nope, vista is getting the cut and soon after 7.
Yeah okay forget them.