Author Topic: Teach me about musical scales plz for jazz band class  (Read 637 times)

I need to learn some scales for jazz band and since there are some musicians on here, I ask you to give me some advice. I have a basic knowledge, but do not actually know many specific scales. Any advice or instruction is very much appreciated because this is grade.

The only theory I learned to jazz was for a few weekends and all I knew was the jazz scale in concert Bb. Everything else I play is from self-taught experience. Srry.

If you have an iPhone, get the app "Practice+" Its great. Helps with tuning and stuff. Practice intonation. Some notes come out flat on certain instruments. Remember your sound is effected by ambusher, and if the instrument is cold or not. All of these effect how your instrument sounds. Just get a playing book or look up some fingering charts/ scales next to each other. Repetition and practice makes perfect. Remember to try to do the chromatic scale by the end.

Oh, and don't forget to listen to swing music to help you feel the beat and all better :)

The only theory I learned to jazz was for a few weekends and all I knew was the jazz scale in concert Bb. Everything else I play is from self-taught experience. Srry.
...What? There's no such thing as a "jazz scale." Are you talking about the blues scale?

Look up scale sheets online. Good luck with jazz, it's a great musical genre.

...What? There's no such thing as a "jazz scale." Are you talking about the blues scale?

Look up scale sheets online. Good luck with jazz, it's a great musical genre.

Yeah that, shows how much I forgot and don't use actual terminology lol, thanks.

Yeah that, shows how much I forgot and don't use actual terminology lol, thanks.
It's alright, although there are different scales used in jazz, in the "bebop scale," so just making sure.

I'm pretty good at jazz and I still have no idea which scale is which.

I'm pretty good at jazz and I still have no idea which scale is which.
Well it takes practice. You're gonna need them, especially for improvisation.

Okay- can someone tell me how I can lean scales? I play rhythm guitar and scales are some important stuff for jazz. Maybe even someone could give me specific scales or something?