New Math
3 (4.1%)
Common Core
53 (71.6%)
Other
17 (23%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: December 12, 2014, 08:29:31 PM

Author Topic: Are current math systems crap?  (Read 2876 times)

Ok folks, here's the scoop for my experience with the math system:
- all of this is based on highschool common core in the US
Freshman year (9th grade)
-- Algebra 1
  **You have the option of completing Algebra one in 7th or 8th grade depending on your current grade in 7th grade
  If you complete algebra one in 8th grade
  -- Geometry (or honors geometry)
  If you complete Algebra 1 in 7th grade and Geometry 1 in 8th
  -- Algebra 2 (or honors Algebra)
Sophomore year (10th grade)
-- Geometry
If you complete Geometry in 9th grade
-- Algebra 2 (or honors)
If you complete Algebra 2 in 9th grade
-- Pre-Calculus (or honors)
Junior year (11th grade)
-- Algebra 2
If you complete Pre-Calculus in 10th grade
-- Calculus AB (or honors or AP)
If you complete Algebra 2 in 10th grade
-- Pre-Calculus
Senior year (12th grade)
If you complete Algebra 2 in 11th grade with in A
-- Pre-calculus
If you complete Calculus AB in 11th grade
-- Calculus BC (or honors or AP)
If you complete all math courses offered
-- no math, or other math classes offered if applicable

I dont like math, especially how it was taught in the schools i went through
There wasnt much hands on experience, and the teachers didnt exactly go through the lessons that most of the students could remember
And now because of this, I cant much of what I learned in Algebra I and Geometry.

Ok folks, here's the scoop for my experience with the math system:
- all of this is based on highschool common core in the US
Freshman year (9th grade)
-- Algebra 1
  **You have the option of completing Algebra one in 7th or 8th grade depending on your current grade in 7th grade
  If you complete algebra one in 8th grade
  -- Geometry (or honors geometry)
I completed algebra 1 in 8th but they put me in it again for the cc version
now I'm taking geometry in 10th
I hated that

I completed algebra 1 in 8th but they put me in it again for the cc version
now I'm taking geometry in 10th
I hated that
Yes, depending on the school you went into for highschool, they will place you based on how you did in that Algebra 1 class in 8th grade.

even my teachers told me that high school math is bullstuff, and you pretty much only need algebra.

if the math system is the same for the last 4 years of school, well, im safe, because i honestly dont get algebra one here, and im the youngest in the class. :(

even my teachers told me that high school math is bullstuff, and you pretty much only need algebra.
We've asked a teacher before 'when will we use this in real life?' the teacher straight forward told us that we won't, but its required anyway.

I don't even know what my school teaches. My mom is diehard against Common Core though, so it must not be that or she would pull me out of the district.

for a lot of people, it acts in a perpetual discouragement loop wherein the person makes a bad grade, loses confidence or is generally put off, and has their performance impacted as a direct result, which, in turn, causes more bad grades, and more off-putted-ness, and so on and so forth.
This accurately describes the spiral that I am in. I passed 8th grade by the tip of my nipple. I passed by one point on my science final, if I missed one more question, I'd have been held back.

This accurately describes the spiral that I am in. I passed 8th grade by the tip of my nipple. I passed by one point on my science final, if I missed one more question, I'd have been held back.
i'd say the best solution is to stop caring so much about the grade and more about what you know you know and what you know you need to improve on

although i've never really paid much attention to my grades; i just make sure i know the material so i can apply it and it works.

forget you algebra
and hoh calculus is gonna be great

Coming this next semester, I may have my first semester of not being homeschooled at all since 2nd grade. At the high school, I will continue with Physics and Precalculus. I will likely be taking English 101 and possibly Chemistry I at Jefferson College (which will transfer to SLU if I'm accepted). Also pondering the idea of College Algebra or Calculus I.

thats what you are supposed to do though

you need to know geometry and graphing stuff in order to effectively go through algebra 2

well, at the very least, to the common core standards.
i went from algebra 2 to geometry, and i personally think it helped me. having that second year of algebra experience helped me remember the algebra fundamentals when i went into geometry.
good thing i took algebra 2 when i did, too, because my school is starting to change the order to algebra 1 -> geometry -> algebra 2, like it apparently should be.

i went from algebra 2 to geometry, and i personally think it helped me. having that second year of algebra experience helped me remember the algebra fundamentals when i went into geometry.
good thing i took algebra 2 when i did, too, because my school is starting to change the order to algebra 1 -> geometry -> algebra 2, like it apparently should be.
my school is the other way around, we're changing from alg 1 -> geo -> alg 2 to alg 1 -> alg 2 -> geo

my school is the other way around, we're changing from alg 1 -> geo -> alg 2 to alg 1 -> alg 2 -> geo

you're kidding me right

learning what a midsegment is is 11th

11th grade

seriously, Algebra 2 is harder than geometry, geometry is explaining crap while algebra 2 is getting into tough graphing and stuff