Hosting a BL server on a raspberry pi?

Author Topic: Hosting a BL server on a raspberry pi?  (Read 1929 times)

Is it possible? I'm going to try it, but what are the minimum specs to host a bl server?

Can it even run blockland?

it can run minecraft
But it's a special version of minecraft written in the code raspberry pi uses.
Blockland is a standard windows .exe and probably won't work.

But it's a special version of minecraft written in the code raspberry pi uses.
Blockland is a standard windows .exe and probably won't work.
wine

wine
Well, you should test a LAN server first.
Then do online.
If both work well, please post a tutorial.

I actually had an idea to use a raspberry pi to host servers, though i dont have a pi to test this out on. I'd say go try it, see if it runs fine.

Raspberry pi is ARM based and blockland is x86 based, there no version of wine (as far as I know) for ARM.
Short answer: No, it's not possible.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:55:12 PM by Soundwaver7 »

I actually own a model B pi.

No way it'll ever work unless an ARM/Linux version of Blockland is made.  The ARM version of Wine is just for running ARM/win32 applications.  Emulation will be far too slow and honestly it'd probably still be too slow even if there was a native version.  I'm sure we remember the horrible lag from people running servers on like pentium 3 computers and the raspberry pi barely compares to that.

There are other small, low power computers out there you can look at.  NUC, Liva, BRIX, etc.  All kinds of little, low power consoley computer things that'll run proper desktop windows/linux and also don't disappoint with respect to capability.  Just nothing as cheap as the pi.  Technology isn't at the point yet where you can get something for $35 brand new that can do much beyond very simple web surfing and simple games.

yeah, pretty sure you need an ARM compiled version of blockland for that like mentioned

I'm pretty confident the pi's resources could probably handle it otherwise though.

why would you use a pi in the first place? doesn't really seem worth it imo

why would you use a pi in the first place? doesn't really seem worth it imo
I have a file sharing server, host a local site on it, have XBMC on it and its good for practice and fun with ssh