Poll

Is this contest a nice idea?

Yeah! Looks very pro!
48 (64%)
Im called badspot and contests mean noting to me!
27 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: Cohortteam 2015 Ostentatious Building Contest  (Read 21624 times)

Heck why not. I like to build. I'll apply :)

Code: [Select]
Forum Name: Goth77
Game Name: Gothboy77
BLID: 14329
Theme: Medieval, Landscape, Modern, Whatever comes to mind.

For suggested add-ons it would be nice to have these included for advanced builders/eventers:
VCE, Prompt Events, Pillar Bricks, Food Bricks, Print Baseplates, and modTer 4x cube pack.

I hope default Mod Ter will be enabled. I find it better than building with default cubes.
The food bricks are more optional I guess; Homeade blockland food just doesn't look as good

For suggested add-ons it would be nice to have these included for advanced builders/eventers:
VCE, Prompt Events, Pillar Bricks, Food Bricks, Print Baseplates, and modTer 4x cube pack.

I hope default Mod Ter will be enabled. I find it better than building with default cubes.
The food bricks are more optional I guess; Homeade blockland food just doesn't look as good

First of, everything default is allowed obviously thus this includes ModTer if thats what you meant. Also for VCE i dont see how it makes a difference since its a build not an event your own survival gamemode using VCE contest, so no need to use that, same for prompt events. Pillar bricks is meh, be creative, you can cover a baseplate with smaller prints therefore print baseplates are not needed, and finally you dont need modter 4x really, if its for zones you can use a bigger one, if its for terrain it probably should be more detailed, if you want to use it as a filler in a non-zoned build, im sure you can use the normal 4x cube, and if you want to zone only a small area then sucks cause you'll have to use an 8x cube.  :cookieMonster:

Sorry if this is all going against you but we want to keep the addons low.

Ill add the newer applicants, also sorry for the delay in addons im going to try pull it together by tomorrow.
Oh and also nice to see Ben applied, no prob for me to have you on the team. :D (yey smiley faice)

First of, everything default is allowed obviously thus this includes ModTer if thats what you meant. Also for VCE i dont see how it makes a difference since its a build not an event your own survival gamemode using VCE contest, so no need to use that, same for prompt events. Pillar bricks is meh, be creative, you can cover a baseplate with smaller prints therefore print baseplates are not needed, and finally you dont need modter 4x really, if its for zones you can use a bigger one, if its for terrain it probably should be more detailed, if you want to use it as a filler in a non-zoned build, im sure you can use the normal 4x cube, and if you want to zone only a small area then sucks cause you'll have to use an 8x cube.  :cookieMonster:

Sorry if this is all going against you but we want to keep the addons low.

The bolded things are want I want to address.

1. Thanks. Default Mod Ter is awesome.

2. VCE is used for eventing small things too. Not just big gamemodes and stuff. It's useful for a variety of things. Keeping count of berries you pick off a bush? You need VCE for that. Prompt events go hand-in-hand with VCE. I understand this is a building contest, but a build is really no good unless it has some events to go with it.

3.Why use smaller plates and rack up the brick count when you can use bigger bricks (for instance, one single 16x16 plate vs 16 4x4 plates) Where is the efficiency in that?

4.The mod ter 4x cube pack is for landscape. I don't understand how you think a bigger brick adds more detail when it's actually quite the opposite.

5.The regular 4x cube is not printable. It wouldn't look right to use it alongside default mod-ter bricks

Sorry if this is all going against you, I'm just trying to figure this out.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 02:28:13 PM by Goth77 »

K den lets git dis ova wit.

Well my point still remains the same on the topic of events, you can use default events if you want in the build.

As for the smaller plates being inefficient, thats just life.

And here you misunderstood me on the topic of 4x mod ter. Like you said you wish to use it for terrain, i said that if you are applying here your terrain should be better than 4x cubescape. Then i went to say that if you want to use it as a zone only then you use the bigger one. And since its not printable then i meant that you should hide the 4x cube if you are using it as a filler.

Hope that clears everything up.

2. VCE is used for eventing small things too. Not just big gamemodes and stuff. It's useful for a variety of things. Keeping count of berries you pick off a bush? You need VCE for that. Prompt events go hand-in-hand with VCE. I understand this is a building contest, but a build is really no good unless it has some events to go with it.
We are not interested in any events in the build. Only the structure(s) that you have made. Including any events in your submission would be a waste of time on your part because we would not judge it in any way.

That's simple, all the builds that wont load at 100% bricks mean people used customs bricks not listed in the contest, Will be disqualified.
Good luck for the contest :3

Well my point still remains the same on the topic of events, you can use default events if you want in the build.

As for the smaller plates being inefficient, thats just life.

And here you misunderstood me on the topic of 4x mod ter. Like you said you wish to use it for terrain, i said that if you are applying here your terrain should be better than 4x cubescape. Then i went to say that if you want to use it as a zone only then you use the bigger one. And since its not printable then i meant that you should hide the 4x cube if you are using it as a filler.

Hope that clears everything up.
Smaller plates being inefficient is...just life? I'm not sure what that even means or how to even interpret that because it literally makes no sense. Substitue all the 2x2f plates you use for a 16x16 area, and use the bigger plates. It will dramatically drop the brick count. This is basic common sense. Less Bricks = Less Rendering = Less Lag.

As for the 4x cubes, what I'm saying is that you want builds with detail, right? The small ramps pack is shown on the OP. These are extremely small bricks made for detail. 4x cubes add to the detail of landscape. It's not like the whole build is made from them.

We are not interested in any events in the build. Only the structure(s) that you have made. Including any events in your submission would be a waste of time on your part because we would not judge it in any way.
So then it's a "strictly-building-only" contest huh. Alright, fine with me. (yay, less work :D )

Edit: If I make a build I will use all default bricks to stay on the safe side. The only reason I requested those few add-ons was because the first page said it was o.k to suggest

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 03:13:43 PM by Goth77 »

Ok again and I shall say this one last time, if you have more plates then if you use them more efficiently instead of one huge plate, that not only increases your thought put into the build, and it adds another challenge, plus i dont see you hitting the brick limit anytime in the time frame.

As for the cubes use plates instead if you insist on printed terrain, there are many windows for improvisation.

Thats all

Ok again and I shall say this one last time, if you have more plates then if you use them more efficiently instead of one huge plate, that not only increases your thought put into the build, and it adds another challenge, plus i dont see you hitting the brick limit anytime in the time frame.

As for the cubes use plates instead if you insist on printed terrain, there are many windows for improvisation.

I'm not worried about hitting the brick limit, I know that won't happen. I was honestly just more concerned with the efficiency of the building. Let me whip up a quick example.

On the left we have an efficient way to use plates. On the right we have spammy plates. I colored them checkered like so you can see the difference. The one with more plates took longer to make, for the same desired effect: Smooth Grass

It's not the same. You cant use textures on the default 4x cube. There is literally no way to replicate the 4x modter cube with a regular 4x cube. Not to mention the corners and ramps n' stuff

Are custom prints cool?
Prints are server sided. Any custom prints you use will not show up when loaded on someone elses' server, unless they also have the print pack. I would guess that's probably a no-go for custom prints.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:00:27 PM by Goth77 »

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 09:14:50 PM by Brickitect »

Your Forum name Jam_Jar
Your Blockland Ingame Name: Jam Jar
Your BL_ID: 19091
Building theme: Cubism, Art Deco, Modern Movement

May as well sign up and give it a shot
Goodluck to all involved! Can't wait to see what comes out of this! c:

Judge App
Your Forum Name: BenGrapevine (IGN: Grandpa)
Your BL_ID: 5364
Why do you want to be a judge?: I can put on my critical face and make people feel bad about their garbage builds.
People that recommend you (they may be verified): I vouch for myself lol, I'm in your clan if that counts any
Notable builds you have done by the past: Sherlock Holmes house, Lab/factory build, etc.

Hired! 1 place still vacant

Hired! 1 place still vacant

My pee pee would like to apply as a judge!

But I added new people.

Your Forum name Jam_Jar
Your Blockland Ingame Name: Jam Jar
Your BL_ID: 19091
Building theme: Cubism, Art Deco, Modern Movement

May as well sign up and give it a shot
Goodluck to all involved! Can't wait to see what comes out of this! c:
well i guess i lose already...

OT: i applied on the first page and i'm not on the applicants list.