Author Topic: Strato's Proof of Concept  (Read 8576 times)

Strato's proof of concept
Hey guys, long time no see.

I wanted to show off some unique mods I've been working on and promote the idea that some things are possible.

Simultaneous vehicle and turret control.
Control with WASD and Mouse

Click pic for vid

Developer notes:
So here we have a standard tank model; a base vehicle and a 2nd mount point for the turret.
With vector math, it is totally possible to create a tank that you can drive and shoot.

There was one issue I had to overcome that should be mentioned:
When telling an AIPlayer to look at a position using %obj.setAimLocation(), Torque wrongly adds the base vehicle's rotation to the AI's eye transform.
Here is what it looks like if you dont fix the rotation. The turrets should be aiming at 1 point
I point this out because I think this is the reason why vehicles go in circles if driven by a bot.  With this issue fixed, mods like AIVehicles could be possible.

Final Thoughts
So there's a taste of what kinda things I'll be updating this thread with. If any elaboration is need, please drop a comment. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:36:24 AM by Str4tofortress »

I would like to know more about how you got this done. :O

Do you think this could work on a flying vehicle as well?
I don't think so, but still, i can't really tell how you did this so i rather ask.

Should also try doing this with the default tank as well.

Noice! Though I still want some tank vehicle sounds when it's moving.

That's awesome!
I wonder, is it possible to limit how fast can the turret turn? Or in some cases limit how much it can turn?

Would a minimap style similar to csgo be possible? Like you only show up if you shoot?

oh my goodness strato you've done it again

Would a minimap style similar to csgo be possible? Like you only show up if you shoot?
Minimaps have always been possible.

Finally, something other than a damn car. Good to have you back, and that is a nice tank.

Unbelievable, i made a suggestion topic asking for this exact thing, they all said it was impossible. God im pissed off now.

Very interesting, but fantastic work!

Unbelievable, i made a suggestion topic asking for this exact thing, they all said it was impossible. God im pissed off now.
what strato does is he looks at the list of impossible things to do in blockland and then makes sure to make an addon for all of them