Author Topic: Git on Windows?  (Read 559 times)

So, I want to use Git on Windows. Should I use the Linux version in Cygwin, or should I use the Windows version available at http://git-scm.com/download ?
To my knowledge, the Windows version of Git on the website uses a GUI and something called "Git Bash" which is bash to be run on Windows. (maybe using MinGW)

Which one should I choose? Does this choice even matter?

never had any problems with the windows version but i haven't really worked with git a whole lot

I'm also wondering if there's any advantages to either version.

Use Git for Windows. I don't understand why you wouldn't; what theoretical benefits would running git through cygwin have over using the platform native version that even comes with a user friendly UI? It takes a second to figure out since it's different than the linux one, but all you really have to do is right click on a cloned project and click open GIT Shell or whatever the option is. Then you've got your command line interface right there.

Also; the GIT shell on windows is Windows Powershell. It comes default with Windows.

Use Git for Windows. I don't understand why you wouldn't; what theoretical benefits would running git through cygwin have over using the platform native version that even comes with a user friendly UI?
I already have experience running the Linux version, so instead of re-learning the Windows one, I could just use the same version as before but with cygwin.

Also; the GIT shell on windows is Windows Powershell. It comes default with Windows.
But it is literally called git bash. And I can't use the git commands when I'm using powershell. Are we looking at the same version?

Trinick, M8, you're using the Github client.

Is the Github client also good for non-github git repos? Because if so, I think I might take a look at that too.

Ah, you're right. I am referring to the github client. I haven't used Windows in months, so I don't really remember any specifics. I rarely even use the UI for the github client, I just use the shell and it works the same way as Linux.

Ah, you're right. I am referring to the github client. I haven't used Windows in months, so I don't really remember any specifics. I rarely even use the UI for the github client, I just use the shell and it works the same way as Linux.
I'll take a look at it as well as the official Git client.

Welp, I tried both the official Git client and Github for Windows. I think I'll be going with the official one, but have the cygwin one installed just in case it forgets up.