Author Topic: Gas Station [with working car washer video] [IMG HEAVY]  (Read 5626 times)

Wow! I really like the gas station. However, the car wash interior looks a bit plain and too simple. 10/10
Thank you very much for feedback! I will improve when I have the time.

why is the roof over the pumps being held up with wood lol

why is the roof over the pumps being held up with wood lol
colored bricks c:

Why did you use Mad World for the music in the video?  :cookieMonster:

Why did you use Mad World for the music in the video?  :cookieMonster:
My favorite song at the moment

yo dude

where did you get your inspiration from? looks like an arizonian gas station
looks like an arizonian gas station
arizonian
lol

Thank you for feedback, but what can I work on improving within those regions
Did someone say improvements?

Topic Creation advice:
- You can easily (and you should) modify image sizes to fit on the forum better. What I've found tends to work best is to set the image's width (1000 pixels wide is the max, unsure of height.) When you copy the imgur link over to our forum, the image tends to be above 1000 pixels wide, which results in the page stretching. Your image tags should end up being something more like this:
[*img width=750] [*/img] (simply remove the stars and place your image's URL imbetween the inserts)

Screenshot advice:
- Images taken at night should not be to show off detail or content, but rather quality of a build. It's more difficult to see the darker it gets, and when using lights to counteract the darkness, it makes the rest of your build appear much darker. Your first picture of the entire gas station in the dark is perfect, it's not a high-detail shot, but it's still interesting and a large portion of the area is illuminated.

Building advice:
- Your Z symbol is very thin on the top and bottom. I realize you were trying to fit the entire Z into a space 5x tall, but it would look more attractive I think if you added an extra plate to the bottom and top, just to give it the same width as your ramps.
- Your tiles aren't all one size. This becomes the most apparent in the image of the bathroom doors: 4x4, 2x3, 1x2 and 1x1 plates all jammed into that one hallway. If you fix your walls and your spacing, then you won't have to use a bunch of different plates, you could just use 4x4 or something that fits wall to wall.
- your lights are lazy. Making a 2x2 plate transparent and adding a light to it doesn't fit the style of the build. This isn't a default-add-ons only build, so I presume you have some different lights downloaded. I KNOW you have the pole bricks, so make some fancy florescent bulbs. Transparent white color, put 2 horizontal 6x long poles underneath an 8x long plate brick, add a 1x2 plate at the end of each set of poles, throw on some glow FX and use some ambient light. I'll make an example with the default gas station and add that in a little later.
- The car wash doesn't particularly make any sense. You drive in, water pours down on your car, then "soap" (fireworks?) are applied, and then what appears to be a floating brush dances around on your windshield.
From someone who owns a car and has been through the car wash a million times, here's what my car usually gets-
1. power wash the underside (as you drive in, high pressure water hits the bottom of the car only)
2. rinse (park the car just as you did in your video, water covers the car sequentially from front to back)
3. soap
4. rinse
5. more soap (frankly I never understood it, but after the 2nd round of soap my car is so fresh the INSIDE gets clean)
6. final rinse
7. air jets dry off the car as you slowly exit the car wash.

Use some paint FX for bubbles, don't require the driver to move the car, the water shouldn't just SUBMERGE the car, it should hose the car off and go around the car, etc.
- Car wash has 0 windows or doors, how do maintenance crews get in or see what's up with the CW.
- the lights inside the car wash are lazier than the lights you have everywhere else around the build. Make housing for the lights (use vertical print bricks or the small bricks by Kris, worst case scenario you just gotta embed those lights in a wall or something.) Realistically you wouldn't just have 3 lightbulbs randomly sticking around inside a car wash.
- I'm gonna have to advise against wooden supports with a metal roof at a GAS station, I'm pretty sure that's a fire hazard. And a building hazard.
Kinda just a hazard any way you think of it.
- your trees are flat and oddly proportioned
- frankly I wouldn't have put down all those tiles around where the gas station is, but maybe around you gas stations have tiles. The ones around me don't so maybe I'm the only one who finds that weird.
- serious misuse of the vending machines, especially inside the store. If you use vertical print bricks for glass doors and the hinges, I can guarantee you'll have just as much space, you'll be able to customize what's inside, and you won't have 10 random cash machines built into your freezers.
- the shelves are very fat, and the items on them are pretty plain. Change color, change shape, change opacity, but mix it up a lot more. It'll make it look like an actual gas station. There's also different sized rows, so have some parts a bunch of shelves, and other parts racks to hold up candy and stuff like that.

Actual gas station

[will be updated with modified default gas station later]

I appreciate your time in writing what I need to improve on, AdinX. I will take that into considerate and use it to improve my future builds; thanks!

what's funny about the word arizonian
It's a really funny sounding word lol

what's funny about the word arizonian
It's not a word, that's what's funny.

Awesome Great job 100000000000/10 heres a  :cookie:

I was expecting a bunch of women little blockhead boys to come out and start washing the car, doing a stereotypical show while washing it.

I was expecting a bunch of women little blockhead boys to come out and start washing the car, doing a stereotypical show while washing it.
the funding for an all-female car wash was cut when the "femchest" apparently "didn't have enough tits."
little blockhead boys worked for a short period of time, but white vans kept stealing them.
Now we just automate it

Pretty good, a bit more detail in the car wash would be nicer tho.