Author Topic: What if Blockland got it's building controls changed?  (Read 1611 times)

I've played both and bl's is easier and faster
In Minecraft you have to continuously move all around and build tons of scaffolding

It only works in Minecraft because everything is a block half the size of your body. There's too many tiny bricks for it to work easily in bl
also, if we did use the click to build, how would you deal with stuff such as direction?

also, if we did use the click to build, how would you deal with stuff such as direction?

Much this, in Minecraft most of the blocks don't change direction, they have a fixed orientation and only special blocks like doors and levers etc can change direction.

My friends have similar problems. As someone who has used this system for years, in my eyes it is perfect and far superior to any other game like Minecraft, which to me seems super tedious.  One of my friends sat down and really gave it a chance and he said once he got the hang of the numpad it wasn't so bad at all.  Another friend of mine refuses to try it cause he's stubborn :P

In my eyes: Minecraft's click to build system is like MS Paint.  Everyone knows how to use it, it's simple, it does an okay job, but it tends to be tedious and slow.  Blockland is like Adobe Photoshop.  Hard to use at first, way more controls to remember, but in the end a far superior product that executes the job much more efficiently.

I'm used to using the laptop controls rather than numpad

I prefer the Blockland controls over the Minecraft ones. You can place multiple bricks quickly as opposed to one at a time.

My Windows 7 laptop doesn't have a jumped, so I use the arrow keys for shifting bricks on X, Y; pageup and pagedown for vertically, [ ] for 1/3 shift, ' ; for rotating, and enter for placement.

I would say learning how to build with the numpad/laptop keys is part of the learning curve of Blockland. I love using the numpad to build. Sure it was a bit difficult to get the hang of at first, but once you get used to it, you will learn how to use the numpad like a pro and see how much faster it is then planting every brick with the mouse.

Personally, I have my SHIFT BRICK UP key set to numpad . and my superShift key set to numpad * so I can toggle supershift easier. Idk why superShift is right alt as default, it's just further away from the building keys O.o
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:53:16 AM by Goth77 »

In my eyes: Minecraft's click to build system is like MS Paint.  Everyone knows how to use it, it's simple, it does an okay job, but it tends to be tedious and slow.  Blockland is like Adobe Photoshop.  Hard to use at first, way more controls to remember, but in the end a far superior product that executes the job much more efficiently.
That was well put.

i use the laptop controls, i find them much easier

I started Blockland a few years ago on a laptop with no keypad, now that I have a full desktop I still use laptop controls. I don't have a problem with the numpad, I'm just accustomed to laptop and it seems pointless to learn numpad. I don't see anything wrong with the build controls so I don't see why the developers would need to divert time and effort into a feature that isn't really wanted/needed.

Just my 2 cents.