Author Topic: Does anyone else's iPhone 6 flicker in slow-motion recording?  (Read 7131 times)

Whenever I record under house light (i.e light generated from mains electricity) my slow-motion recording flickers.

I was just wondering whether it's just me in which case I'll claim the warranty for the phone, or other people also experience this so I just have to put up with it?

I theorise it might be because the phone records slow-motion at 120/240 fps, both of which are multiples of 60 which is the frequency of the mains electricity in America.

In Europe the frequency is 50Hz, and as a result the recording (120/240 fps) is out of phase with with the frequency of the mains electricity and therefore gives a flickering illusion.

Does anyone else living in europe experience this?

Yeah, in theory this is something that isn't the phone's fault, as the frequency of electricity in the UK is 50Hz and you will obviously notice if you're recording at a 240fps and playing it back at a playback speed. I even notice it with my 144Hz monitor when using slow-motion with that. It's not a phone's problem, obviously we used to see flickering on those old square-bed TV screens, think of it like that, they only ran at a 30Hz refresh rate.

What I'm wondering is why Apple haven't taken this into account? They should set the fps to multiples of 50 in UK...

I'd still want confirmation for another iPhone user just to be sure, by the way.

Edit: it isn't only at playback speed as well...

I have an iPhone 6 as a spare phone, and it does the same as it does on my Samsung Galaxy S5. It's difficult to show though because all lights in the house have been replaced by LED's (It doesn't show as well, because it emits very differently to incandescent) .

I'll upload a video comparison later to show you.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:14:28 AM by nerraD »

What I'm wondering is why Apple haven't taken this into account? They should set the fps to multiples of 50 in UK...

They rushed into it for lodsemone

I guess it would be too expensive to change it for every single country, and may not work since some are imported from other countries and such.

At least provide an option for 50Hz? Just a software change...

I find it's more visible on LEDs because incandescent still emit light for a small amount of time even while the potential difference is changing direction, probably due to the fact they work with a burning filament...

At least provide an option for 50Hz? Just a software change...

This has actually been done many times, I have a camera that has an option of 60hz or 50hz. I guess they didn't think of this, Just like they didn't think Chinese takeaway's would appear in the middle of the ocean on the map.

Really? That's interesting. Well I guess there's many factors to consider like natural room light and the type of LED being used.

Also Tetro, that was the main reason a lot of content is recorded in a 24fps record, because of the lighting problems.

turn the light's graphics settings up to lower its fps