Author Topic: Help installing Windows 8.1 on SSD from USB Drive - stuck at 8.1 logo on installation bootup  (Read 949 times)

Hello, I recently downloaded the Windows 8.1 Installer from Microsoft Dreamspark for free from my school on my desktop currently running Windows 7, and seemingly have success putting the installer onto my USB drive, but when I try to boot with the drive to install Windows 8.1 onto a new SSD, I get the 8.1 splash screen logo and it doesn't go any further even if left for hours. I tried both x64 and x32 bit versions because I read something about certain AMD FX Processors not booting x64 8.1 correctly, but those are more early processors they referred to, I have an FX-6300. I've researched a ton and no matter what I do the installer freezes on the Windows 8.1 Boot logo. I can assure you the SSD works and is brand new, as well as the 32gb Kingston Flashdrive inserted directly into my Motheboard's I/O Panel.

I just need a way to get a fresh install of Windows 8.1 onto my SSD.

Some questions I have is if it matters which SATA port I plug my SSD into (was using 2 for the SSD, 1 for my HDD), what mode the SATA ports must be in (tried both IDE and AHCI), and how my SSD and USB drive must be formatted.

Here is my current build (running Windows 7 on the Seagate HDD): http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Racerboy/saved/hDWypg
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:31:58 AM by Racerboy »

Nobody here knows what they're doing.  I'd contact Microsoft's support team before I'd ask anywhere else; you should probably do the same.

What format is your USB drive?

What format is your USB drive?
FAT32, I also tried NTCF or whatever it is I forget

I contacted my tech support here at school and they recommended a disk boot but the only disk drive I have is USB and I thought that would work the same as a usb boot, I'll try it though.

Any recommendations for a .iso burn software?

ImgBurn. Probably the best image writing software around.

Why not just use the official Microsoft ISO burning utility which they made specifically for installing Windows off a USB device?

Edit; http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

And I know it works because right now I have a Windows 7 boot drive attached to my keychain which I created using this tool and installed windows off of onto my current machine.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:32:10 PM by Tokthree »

FAT32, I also tried NTCF or whatever it is I forget

I contacted my tech support here at school and they recommended a disk boot but the only disk drive I have is USB and I thought that would work the same as a usb boot, I'll try it though.

Any recommendations for a .iso burn software?
Hold on, take us through the steps of how you set up this USB? If you just dragged and dropped the file you got off of Dreamspark and expected it to work, jesus...

Hold on, take us through the steps of how you set up this USB? If you just dragged and dropped the file you got off of Dreamspark and expected it to work, jesus...
no lol. I would have never reached the Windows 8.1 splash screen logo if I did that...

I used this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media
which I just found out also works for CD's as well, but I'm currently using what you linked.

Currently burning the iso to a disk my friend gave me, as well as retrying the bootable usb drive when that finishes. I don't think it has anything to do with my BIOS settings if I got as far as I did with the 8.1 logo, except maybe some boot restriction or something i dont know. Also forgot to mention I'm disconnecting my HDD and using my SSD when I boot it just so I don't accidentally choose the wrong drive to boot to.

ImgBurn. Probably the best image writing software around.
Windows is stuff with other burners, I'd recommend the one on the site

How long did it hang on the windows logo?

Windows is stuff with other burners, I'd recommend the one on the site

How long did it hang on the windows logo?
Overnight, approx. 8 hours...