Swordplay - Chivalry/Dark Souls Styled Sword Fighting Gamemode

Author Topic: Swordplay - Chivalry/Dark Souls Styled Sword Fighting Gamemode  (Read 4279 times)

(Logo credit goes to RB2K)

Sword Fighting based on Chivalry and Dark Souls

What is Sword Play?

Sword Play is a gamemode based on mechanics from Chivalry and Dark Souls. This calls for a slightly moddified weapon system, in which you can hold a variety of weapons and shields alike. You can hold dual weapons or even dual shields if you want. The customization of which weapon will go in what hand will allow even left handed players to play in the way they like.

What are the mechanics?

While still needing tweaking and testing, the current mechanics that are working are:

Blocking (With a shield)
Dodging (Based on Bloodborne's locked on dodge instead of Dark Souls, which both work the same)
Backstepping (a more advanced dodging)
Parrying
Weapon slots (ie dagger in left hand, claymore in right hand, can swap to shield ect)

Things not done

Guard breaking (based on DkS1 with the reposte added in)
Reposte (critical attack on an enemy after parrying or guard breaking)
Stamina

Problems with the Gamemode

Lag.
It's a fast paced gamemode, but thanks to it having to be all server sided, lag may be an issue. Still needs testing, and maybe some core tweaking to have it work properly for sub 100 ping.
Without clientsided prediction, this may have issues with people with higher ping.

Video is now here!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:18:05 PM by Wrapperup »

Finished editing the video. In the video, I fight someone with the completed mechanics (attacking, dodging, backstepping, blocking, parrying, and the reposte), I may have to upload it tommorow.

I actually got 2 parries in it, which is cool, as they are rather difficult to pull off. Tested on LAN.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:58:44 PM by Wrapperup »

Very interesting concept. I'd love to see how this turns out.

So uh, those models are kind of off.
That sword is too thin and wimpy and the shield tends to be a bit, triangulated.
If you like I could provide some swords, one that might fit Blockland better.

Also, the hit detection looks kind of hard to determine. Swings that looked like they'd miss hit and the shield didn't seem to block attacks all that often. Id suggest having some kind of visual aid as to where the sword slashes have a particle trail effect when attacking, but that would deviate from the Dark Souls style.

I worry that Dark Souls styled combat might never work well in Blockland as players are much smaller, move quicker and generally dont react to precise detection well.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:44:53 AM by Mr.Noßody »

So uh, those models are kind of off.
That sword is too thin and wimpy and the shield tends to be a bit, triangulated.
If you like I could provide some swords, one that might fit Blockland better.

Also, the hit detection looks kind of hard to determine. Swings that looked like they'd miss hit and the shield didn't seem to block attacks all that often. Id suggest having some kind of visual aid as to where the sword slashes have a particle trail effect when attacking, but that would deviate from the Dark Souls style.

I worry that Dark Souls styled combat might never work well in Blockland as players are much smaller, move quicker and generally dont react to precise detection well.

It's more of an experiment. Sheilds do work fine, you have to look at your opponent, although the angle's range could be higher, so I may increase that. And i would love to have some models too.

The hit detection works to help in third person, tho refinement may be useful. Dodging works alot like Dark Souls in that dodging at the correct time will allow you to not be hurt (simmilar to iframes), but it may be a bit harder to pull as the animation is a bit fast.

that looks really cool

will lagbackstabs/running attacks (probs after a backstep)/plunging attacks be added?

Backstabs will probably be present, they won't be like dark souls in that one button, you go into an animation and urawinner.png, more like in the sense of dark souls 2 where you do an animation before the backstab, and its escapable, but will work in such a way that you won't be lag stabbed (hopefully). The other 2 not sure.

Something like this? Maybe longer?

Generic Sword (View in 3D)

Something like this? Maybe longer?

looks neat,  could be longer, but i like it.

Suggestions
Bow and Arrow: Both of the games this is based on have bows, why not add one

Custom Player + Animations: I can see where this would be difficult, but it would be extremely useful

Fatal Blow: Similar to Legend of Zelda, there will be about a 25% chance to instead of doing a powerful slice, you jump, and then stab the victim in the chest.(It would be nice if someone could get a video/gif of this)

Ultimate Attacks:Charge up by dealing/taking damage, light key to unleash an attack based on what you are using

Sword: Heroic Strike: Deals fatal damage if it hits, with a small radius where people get stunned

Bow and arrow: Cluster-Bomb arrow: Shoot an arrow towards the sky, when it hits the ground, it explodes, then fires out more bombs

Axe: Executioner: Kick an enemy to the ground, then cut off his head.

Spear: Throwing: Throw the spear, lodging in the enemy's heart, killing them.

Staff: Turn into a dragon because why not
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 09:45:09 PM by EnjoyedBen2002 »