ABS FIESTA REDUX

Poll

period race

Author Topic: ABS FIESTA REDUX  (Read 1232231 times)

Repair, refueling, and rearmament is completed in a matter of minutes, and everyone is ordered to return to their planes and adjust their radios to receive what is hopefully the last briefing of the night.

Briefing
: Auxiliaries, congratulations are in order regarding the results of your previous sortie. Your performance exceeded expectations, destroying two bombers and saving what was left of Grao and Paurpura Maniples. The rest of the strike package combined only managed to destroy one more and damage three, and the remaining bombers are still pressing on towards their objective. The admiral has moved Battlegroup Indomitus to block the Aesthian formation directly, but we aren't about to assume that our guns alone will be able to stop every airship from reaching its target. Take note of the tactical map on your Multi-Function Displays.

: There are two main sources of conflict that require additional attention- Indikos, Gulth, Groen, and Weizh maniples, along with the Kintharians, are still engaging the primary Aesthian fighter wave to the East; while Onyx and Rauths Maniples are accompanying Brunaz, Grao, Blawes, and Gelorauth in continuing the attack on the aerial fleet. If our attack is repulsed, or if their attack breaks through, the rest of the fleet's job will be significantly more difficult. Stick together, split up, we won't tell you how to do your job, just do it.

"I'll be hitting the airships again. Those of you who want to combat the fighters break from this flight,"

"This is Blackeye, I'm leaving the flight to bolster the fighters to the East."

"... And I'll stay with Kobalt to attack the airship fleet," Lorens confirms.

"I'll be supporting the fighter group."

Bell heads off to attack the airships, while Ellie goes to hit the fighters.

Shortsword, Crash, Walt, Snowman, and Virvel arrive relatively quickly to back up the Imperial strike package.
: [Indomitus, Orlok. Task Digit Nul-Saihs-Twai to attack the nearest cruiser. Let's see if that ghost plane will show itself again.]
: [At once, General.]
: [Sir, reinforcements are arriving from the southwest.]
: [Excellent. Hegelsturm, you're on me. The rest of you, deal with those fighters.]

You are unable to assist at this range, but the data-link from the Imperial planes means you can make a clearer decision whether to assist in the combat, bypass and attack the fleet directly, or simply wait it out.

Around the same time; Skytracer, Scorch, Blackeye, and Gerowitz acquire sight of the Gothic fighters stonewalling the Aesthian strike package.
: [Another radar lock!? Popping chaff- evading... Noo!]
: [Saskia? Saskia, come in! stuff!]
: [Albrecht's gone. Warin, take her position on Emelrich's wing. Indomitus, Indikos 1-1, requesting drone retasking to suppress those Corsairs.]
: Wait- where did those Berkuts go?
: Don't think you can fool me by flying around in those Imperial buckets, traitors! We know that's you in there! Draugur, kill em!

Four planes have broken off from the main engagement and are heading directly at you. A handful of drones are in pursuit, but you know how effective those are.

"[Wow, awfully astute of you, there.]"
Markus drops a single string of chaff to break any locks.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:33:09 AM by Gojira »

Gerowitz starts to line up a firing solution on Dragur-3. She clicks on her comms and calls out her target.

"Lining up on Dragur-3, firing guns when I enter range."

Ellie fires off two RGMs at Draugr-2.

: It looks pretty heavy, maybe we should get all of this anti-ship ordinance launched before we start dogfighting.

Lorens looks at his BVR scanner and tries to make sense of the furball looming in the distance.

"How are we going to get past the bandits?," he queries.
          Ash's RWR picks up Draugr-1's radar pings.

"Nails, 12 o'clock. Gerowitz, keep your distance when you fire those guns. The last time we went up against a flight of Berkuts, their fighters were rigged with explosives."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:47:07 PM by NoZoner »

"Let's burn around the furball and hit the airships. We will attack airships that are already damaged, as I would assume that even the damaged ones could still bomb the objective. With fewer ships cluttering up the sky the Imperial fleet should be able to better handle the healthy ones. At least I think,"

Jaakko pauses for a short moment.

"I only care as much about bingo fuel as the rest of you do, we won't get a chance to refuel before the airships would be over the missile command post anyway,"

"Ash, I'm fairly certain this squadron was the one you're talking about. Draugr sounds very familiar."

Walt keeps mostly quiet, thankful that he wouldn't have to worry as much about keeping up with and evading the more maneuverable Aesthian crafts. The airships, at least, wouldn't be able to sneak up on his tail like the fighters would. "Got it," he acknowledges.

Lorens looks at his fuel gauge for a moment.

"Sounds like a plan. If this ends up being a one-way trip, we just need to make it count."

"It looks pretty heavy, maybe we should get all of this anti-ship ordinance launched before we start dogfighting."
Lorens looks at his BVR scanner and tries to make sense of the furball looming in the distance.
"How are we going to get past the bandits?," he queries.
"Let's burn around the furball and hit the airships. We will attack airships that are already damaged, as I would assume that even the damaged ones could still bomb the objective. With fewer ships cluttering up the sky the Imperial fleet should be able to better handle the healthy ones. At least I think,"
Jaakko pauses for a short moment.
"I only care as much about bingo fuel as the rest of you do, we won't get a chance to refuel before the airships would be over the missile command post anyway,"
Walt keeps mostly quiet, thankful that he wouldn't have to worry as much about keeping up with and evading the more maneuverable Aesthian crafts. The airships, at least, wouldn't be able to sneak up on his tail like the fighters would. "Got it," he acknowledges.
Lorens looks at his fuel gauge for a moment.
"Sounds like a plan. If this ends up being a one-way trip, we just need to make it count."
You all begin skirting around the area of conflict.
: [Scratch that, sir. Auxiliary reinforcements are leaving the area.]
: [Very well, if they want to be the bait, I won't complain.]

Airships will be in radar range next turn.

"[Wow, awfully astute of you, there.]"
Markus drops a single string of chaff to break any locks.
This happens.

Ellie fires off two RGMs at Draugr-2.
Draugur 2 doesn't evade just yet.

Draugur surges forward with aid from their turbochargers and are now in missile range.

Everybody except Scorch picks up a missile warning.