ABS FIESTA REDUX

Poll

period race

Author Topic: ABS FIESTA REDUX  (Read 1229936 times)

Jaakko approaches Xiaomei.
"Xiaomei, I had-"
He stops. Jaakko felt shame for being awfully abrasive to the Kintharians at times in the past, and now they were one of the few, or rather, one of the only things that had remained mostly the same from before his world was shaken up so violently.
He forces himself to look Xiaomei in the eye.
"How are you?" he asks quietly.
Any of the other Kintharians would have probably appreciated the attempt at small-talk. Not this one.
: Out with it, Jaakko.

Jaakko holds his gaze for a few seconds, then looks away and composes himself.

"I want to go to Kintharia, and I want to know if you can help me get there,"

He pauses.

"And if getting involved with the KZG buys me a more certain future, then I want to know about that too," he says quietly.

Jaakko holds his gaze for a few seconds, then looks away and composes himself.

"I want to go to Kintharia, and I want to know if you can help me get there,"

He pauses.

"And if getting involved with the KZG buys me a more certain future, then I want to know about that too," he says quietly.
: You. Involved with the KZG. In what capacity?

"I'm a ten- or eleven-times ace, with experience in both air to air and air to surface combat, and flight leadership. Surely they're looking for pilots, the rest of Raiden got roped in to doing special operations didn't they? That's my employable skill, and what I have to offer in exchange for a future where I don't live in the Imperium, and where NAUC doesn't get ahold of me,"

Ash walks over to where Lorens is laid up and grabs a stool. "[Feeling any better?,]" He asks as he sits down.

"[Better. Doctor said I should be out in two weeks, if everything goes well,]" Lorens responds, apparently thankful he got away with only minor blast injury and a concussion.

"[Glad to hear. Just keep resting then. Those two weeks will be over in no time.]"

"[Hah, like I was planning on doing anything but rest,]" Lorens forces out a chuckle, "[I... I think I'm done.]" In a sudden change of tone, life drains quickly from his expression and he reverts to staring at the cieling, "[I don't have any more fight left in me.]"

Acknowledging his brother's exhaustion, Ash drops his usual persona and sits in silence. Lorens eventually closes his eyes and falls asleep.

"I'm a ten- or eleven-times ace, with experience in both air to air and air to surface combat, and flight leadership. Surely they're looking for pilots, the rest of Raiden got roped in to doing special operations didn't they? That's my employable skill, and what I have to offer in exchange for a future where I don't live in the Imperium, and where NAUC doesn't get ahold of me,"
She folds her arms.
: As I seem to recall, your squadrons have a history of being wiped out, and you yourself have had to bail out of your craft so many times that in a lower intensity conflict you would have been forced to retire.

Jaakko scowls.

“My first squadron I was assigned to was attrited leading up to Taiton, then lost the rest of its strength to the Deltans, I was not in command. And now...”

Jaakko suppresses his frustration at the insinuation that he had allowed Mjolnir to be wiped out, but he wonders if there was anything different he could have done.

“We gave up so much to stop Aesthia and the Imperials from destroying everything, and it nearly happened anyways. I don’t know why I survived when everybody else gave up everything. If you think it’s because of cowardice or some fault of my character, I’d like to know,”

Jaakko scowls.

“My first squadron I was assigned to was attrited leading up to Taiton, then lost the rest of its strength to the Deltans, I was not in command. And now...”

Jaakko suppresses his frustration at the insinuation that he had allowed Mjolnir to be wiped out, but he wonders if there was anything different he could have done.

“We gave up so much to stop Aesthia and the Imperials from destroying everything, and it nearly happened anyways. I don’t know why I survived when everybody else gave up everything. If you think it’s because of cowardice or some fault of my character, I’d like to know,”
: Cowardice is a strong word, but I do have my doubts that you are offering your services for any reason other than to save your own skin from Aesthian reprisal. I know you have no love for Kintharia, why should I believe you would you be willing to put yourself at risk to advance her interests?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 03:28:56 PM by Qwepir »

“Because if Kintharia would offer me a more certain future there’d be no reason for me not to be loyal. I don’t see the Imperium as being an opportunistic place, and the Mercanans were, at worst, complacent with Aesthia’s nuclear attack and at best, I don’t think they would be supportive if I were to declare asylum. I cannot conceive what civilian life would be like. Kintharia I think would probably be receptive of someone who helped them stop the Aesthian attack,”

Jaakko sighs.

“I trusted you and your squadron when you told us that the Imperials would violently and overwhelmingly retaliate with nukes if Aesthia struck first, which was asking me to go against Aesthia, collaborate with the Imperials, and work for Kintharia’s interests. And I did that with an awful lot of blind trust that you and your squad mates weren’t turncoat and were telling the truth,”

“Because if Kintharia would offer me a more certain future there’d be no reason for me not to be loyal. I don’t see the Imperium as being an opportunistic place, and the Mercanans were, at worst, complacent with Aesthia’s nuclear attack and at best, I don’t think they would be supportive if I were to declare asylum. I cannot conceive what civilian life would be like. Kintharia I think would probably be receptive of someone who helped them stop the Aesthian attack,”

Jaakko sighs.

“I trusted you and your squadron when you told us that the Imperials would violently and overwhelmingly retaliate with nukes if Aesthia struck first, which was asking me to go against Aesthia, collaborate with the Imperials, and work for Kintharia’s interests. And I did that with an awful lot of blind trust that you and your squad mates weren’t turncoat and were telling the truth,”
Xiaomei grabs Crash's collar and pulls him in, lowering her voice.
: This is not the place to discuss this topic further. I'll come find you before we leave and we can talk about it then.

At the same time a few thousand miles away, Cualli sits handcuffed with Elu on their way to an Imperial war prison. She and him, the only survivors of the Tordenskjold incident, had been picked up a few hours after the event by an Imperial submarine that saw the fireball. The next day a corvette was dispatched to take them off their hands. The day after, the corvette returned to its task force and transferred them to a destroyer. Three days of sailing later, they find themselves on board the destroyer's auxiliary VTOL, on the way to an offshore defensive installation.

“I understand. Thank you,”

Jaakko steps away from Xiaomei and goes to see Nagato.

Cualli leans on Elu, her eyes closed, her head heavy on his shoulder. Her hair is no longer in its meticulous braids that, months ago, she would spend hours on; currently, it's been reduced to dark, shoulder-length waves. She's tired, despite having been fed and watered and provided a place to sleep, even if that 'place to sleep' was a metal slab with a bag for a pillow and a thin blanket on it. The sleep that she did manage to get left her feeling lethargic and unfocused. And despite how long she's been resting her head on Elu, she hasn't been able to doze off. Her mind is still racing, full of anxiety about what her future holds for her.

She'd been rescued by Imperials rather than friendly Aesthians, which meant that, obviously, she'd be spending gods know how long in a military prison. Cualli was at least able to keep Elu by her side throughout her voyage thus far, and for that much she was thankful. But while she still had her surrogate son with her, she was still missing something-- someone-- deeply important to her.

The one blessing that came out of being lifted from the waters by Imperial forces was that Arkhip was on this side of things. Or he used to be, at least. She wasn't sure where he was anymore. It felt like years since she'd heard anything from him, and it was beginning to sink in that it would be nearly impossible for the two of them to be reunited again. For one, Arkhip didn't know where she was: if he'd heard about the Tordenskjold going down, he'd probably assume that she was killed on it and might not bother to look for her. And if, somehow, Cualli was released into Imperial society after the war ends and she's released from prison, she wouldn't have a clue where to start looking for him. The Imperium is a big place, after all. But if she finishes her time behind bars and gets shipped back home to Aesthia, there'd be no way for Arkhip to ever see her again: her boyfriend would be considered an enemy of the state, and who knows what might happen to him if he tried to set foot of Aesthian soil after the war.

All of this is assuming that he's even still alive, Cualli. She squeezes her eyes shut tighter, feeling the chilling pangs in her stomach as she tries to push down the terrible, terrible thought. She didn't want to believe that Arkhip might be dead. She didn't want to believe that she might never get to see him again. At this point, the only two things holding her will to live together were Elu and the faint hope that she might someday be reunited with her beloved.

"Elu," she says quietly, "what do you think is going to happen to us after all of this?"

“I understand. Thank you,”

Jaakko steps away from Xiaomei and goes to see Nagato.
Nagato is just staring at her feet. She doesn't even look up at you as you approach.

"Elu," she says quietly, "what do you think is going to happen to us after all of this?"
: I do not know.

"I thought you might say that." Elu had never responded well to such broad questions, she knew. But she didn't have anything more specific to ask him, really. "What if Arkhip finds us again? Or we find him?" Cualli wanted to keep telling herself that they'd see him again. Even if she was deluding herself, it was one of the things keeping her going.

“Hello Nagato, how are you?” he asks quietly.

His voice a weary but with hints of Jaakko trying to make his tone sound warmer.