I feel like I've spread myself too thin.

Author Topic: I feel like I've spread myself too thin.  (Read 1373 times)

So, as of now, I am trying to do the following things all at once:

• Writing a story of mine (Test Subject #10202456 if you remember)
  • Making a video game (Densitron)
  • Making music (in OpenMPT)
  • Trying to draw
  • Learning how to skateboard
  • Learning how to play the piano
  • Learning how to play baseball

This includes the extra burdens of school, procrastination, etc. Did I mention that I'm 13 years old and I'm trying to do all this stuff? Should I just narrow my scope and just focus on school and other things, or learn all of this stuff later?

never multitask
you might think you'll be able to do it, but you can't
find things you like a lot and focus on those

Should I just narrow my scope and just focus on school and other things
Common sense should tell you that you should do this.

You're 13, you have your whole life ahead of you.  Learn to prioritize (specifically school), and then when you're free exercise your creativity.

I'm trying to post on the forums, eat buttery popcorn, hold my tablet where WiFi can reach it, and read a book while sitting in the driver's seat of my van.

I'm trying to post on the forums and figure out how to do stuff with audacity

why are you even trying to do all these things

just pick one or two hobbies and stick with it

ditch story
ditch music
ditch drawing
ditch piano
ditch bball

continue making the game & sk8tin

who wants to bet that he will never finish either of them

you're working on way too many things at once
learn what you like the most and stick with that

Prioritise a bit.
Allocate yourself certain times for writing (and then stick to them). Give yourself maybe a couple hours a week.
Do the same for drawing and the video-game.

I would suggest dropping the piano (mind your toes) if you're not overly bothered about it. It's a hobby that does take a LOT of time and practice.
If you don't drop it, then I would suggest dropping either basketball or skateboarding.

If you want to learn basketball, rather than in your free time, it might be better to just get some friends to play it with during breaks at school. That way you're using free-time that you have to have.

Buy a fez, then your life will be complete

Prioritize on school right now, i prioritized a tad to late and still am not fully doing so and will probably have to do a year over

I've been kind of writing a story. really it's more like, I'm coming up with stuff about the universe that the story (stories) will be in
I haven't actually written any story yet
and also making this
and learning both C and C++. C++ was entirely intentional, but C is only because I was going through Harvard's CS50x course, which teaches that

but not all at once. usually I'll do just one of them for like a week then move on to the next thing for a while. so it doesn't feel like I'm trying to do any one thing too much, and I don't get bored
I don't have school to worry about though

Piano is one of the more rewarding things I've spent time on

I don't see why you can't do it all if you spend your time wisely. It just means that you won't have too much downtime.

Unless you plan on using any of these for your main occupation (or a secondary occupation), you should probably prioritize school.