RIP CBMHost

Author Topic: RIP CBMHost  (Read 4159 times)

who really cares about the list, the topic is about a good service shutting down

who really cares about the list, the topic is about a good service shutting down
its pointing out the fact that the key leak can be contributed to the fact that nobody wants to donate to a service that could be broken into

this is so sad DDD: we need healing :cookie: s :C

its pointing out the fact that the key leak can be contributed to the fact that nobody wants to donate to a service that could be broken into
That variable had little to no effect on donations at all. Plenty of people donated the first few months, but eventually people stopped pitching in. It's more due to the fact that the game is full of kids who don't have the money to donate, thus the reason they're using the free service in the first place.
It's not really a big deal though, the service was the longest running and proved to be consistently reliable as well. I don't think anyone could accomplish what they've done the past few years.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:27:42 PM by #Ravencroft »

rip blocknet is gonna take over now. Pecon7 is probably happy

RIP CBMHost. I used to host speedkart with one of their clients.

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

My heart is sad. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to host my own server and being awesome about it.

And are you absolutely sure that:
  • You can't make this a paid service rather than shutting it down?
  • You can't have someone else take over the service?
  • You can't find any other way to keep this up T-T?

Yes, I could make it paid. However, about 3/4 of the clients are using it because it is free. I know there are some who would gladly pay, but it would not be enough to make up the cost of the server and we're right back at where we started.

I really do not want to hand over the service to someone else because, quite frankly, there is really no one in the community I would trust to have the maturity and time to keep it going. I know how it would go, I've been associated with the service for so long that if the person I handed it to screwed up, it would reflect back on me, no matter if I'm in the picture or not, since it was known as "my service".

I have thought of many ways I might be able to keep it going, but none of them were satisfactory as they relied too much on something else that was a unreliable variable. Hence the decision to shut it down was made.

Anything can be broken into if the person doing the hacking is determined enough. But that's besides the point. Point is I already addressed that issue shortly after the break in happened, I changed the settings so the hole was no longer a problem. I thought I had set them correctly when I first set it up, so I never bothered to double check. Which obviously was a mistake on my part and the incident taught me to be more careful and double check stuff. I know I already mentioned this on this forum at least once.

Ever since I've first used CBMHost, it has always been superb. Fantastic customer service, great up-time, and minimum lag. Even after CBMHost closes, it shall always remain in this game's history as the best free hosting service ever! Thank you Cowboy and Mango for running such a great service and I wish you two the best in whatever you do!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 04:26:51 AM by WALDO »

Very sad. I've been with them since they started, were such a good host. Sad to see then go down.

How much money is necessary to keep it up?

$40/month.
Chances are it costed significantly more than that, Cowboy probably was just short the $40.

Chances are it costed significantly more than that, Cowboy probably was just short the $40.

You are correct, it's $75 per month in total.

Would it be that hard to find 15 people to pay $5/mo. for a quality hosting service?

In a community dominantly made up of minors without their own income, significantly harder than elsewhere.