Poll

What aspect of gameplay should be focused on more?

Building
4 (13.3%)
Crime and law
8 (26.7%)
Jobs and RPG elements
10 (33.3%)
Roleplaying
2 (6.7%)
Odd jobs and tasks
5 (16.7%)
Gang building
0 (0%)
The build itself
1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: In a city RPG, what aspect of gameplay should be focused on more?  (Read 6438 times)

I do not like City RPs... like... I hate them.

But what about them do you hate? There must be a certain aspect that turns you away from them.

Block City by the ScatteredSpace Clan
One of the best CityRP like addons Ive ever seen
Anyone remember the servers hosted by KINEX?

What would also be good in prison is you have to serve your time by playing or escaping, and if a prisoner kills a prison guard then they instantly become wanted and get more time.

Just a quick heads up, the 'mod' in reference to the third poll option is a modified version of iban's mod.

How about a different kind of RP

How about a different kind of RP

you're going to have to ask a different kind of person dude cause I want to make a city

I don't think genuine roleplaying fits in that well with the majority of the community.
Uniqueness is easy to ask for and difficult to achieve, but to reap a quality server you need quality staff. I spent an ungodly amount of time on city rps over the years and have known people that are both equally entertained by the games and involved in trying to create a better server and more pleasant experience.
Maybe this is my unconscious backlashing at things like admin applications or something but if you want a good experience you will need good people behind it.
A bunch of creative minds are the key to new lands untold.

I don't think genuine roleplaying fits in that well with the majority of the community.

There's a sizeable following for roleplay servers, but I'm looking at bringing in the majority of the players so I can have a good-sized community. This would mean if I had roleplaying elements, I would make them digestible or optional. Not everyone is a roleplayer, and like I've said and been told many, many times is that there needs to be content beyond roleplaying to make a serv good

Uniqueness is easy to ask for and difficult to achieve, but to reap a quality server you need quality staff. I spent an ungodly amount of time on city rps over the years and have known people that are both equally entertained by the games and involved in trying to create a better server and more pleasant experience.

This brings me to one of my main issues I have, is that I don't know enough people that I can trust to basically run the server when I can't. I have a few people on board with the server as it is, but I'm gonna need a lot of admins.

Fortunately, one of the systems I plan on using is just making the staff the police, and people who want to apply for the police get moderator. This makes it harder to become a police officer, but probably more rewarding.

Maybe this is my unconscious backlashing at things like admin applications or something but if you want a good experience you will need good people behind it.
A bunch of creative minds are the key to new lands untold.

Oh yeah, definitely. An admin staff can make or break a server. I want to be as conscious as I can be about who's doing what, and encourage good behavior over powertripping because you have the ability to. I'm gonna have to get over wanting to do mostly everything myself, because it will be a long time before the server's released if I do everything myself lol

But on the other hand, I'm going to be giving moderator status to anyone who makes it as a cop. Whether or not this is a good idea really will change the outcome of the server.

edit: Just a word of what's to come if I event with VCE

#1: Package bricks. You place down a packaged savedup, and then click to activate it. It will replace wrenches for most people, and it will give you prepackaged stuff like radios, lockable doors and all kinds of functional things. This will also be the main method to buy weapons, as spawning weapons will cost money and be a one-weapon-spawn.

The process will be like, say you want a light. A normal white light brick would cost $9, so you would say /loaddup whitelight, and then click it to activate it with money. With item boxes, only the owner of the box will be able to spawn items, otherwise clicking the brick as a non-owner would tell if you the item is legal or not. Then, the more demand that comes for packages, the more that will be released.

#2: How you would be sent to jail. The server will have handcuffs enabled. Only cops will be able to spawn with handcuffs, otherwise normal players will have a hard time getting access to them. The process of jailing works like this: The cop handcuffs the criminal then informs an admin of the handcuffed player. The player will then be teleported to a holding cell until they can be processed in a court. The court works like this: The judge admin teleports six chosen jury members who consent to the court, and they speak to the witness, the suspect and the cop involved in the arrest. After that, they decide guilt. Or, to circumvent this process, the police officer or witness can provide screenshot evidence of the crime and prove guilt. Those who are sent to jail will then have to serve their time while living in the jail. The jail will have many things to do; think of it like a mini jail escape minigame within the city rpg.

#3: Taking over the city. In slayer, there will be teams. Teams will be added for the main gangs, the rebellion force, the police and the normal players. The gangs, rebels and police will be able to take over certain points in the city to gain access to spawns and specialized vehicles. Citizens will be instructed to attack rebels on sight, making their life a little harder. So what's stopping the streets from becoming a complete deathmatch? Well, for one thing, rebels attacking citizens will get them kicked out of the rebellion. Same thing goes for police officers. Gangs can do what they want so long as they don't get caught, then they get punished even harder.

The thing with the gangs is that if a member is caught, he or she is given the chance to give police details on the gang the member is in for a lighter sentence.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:34:47 AM by IkeTheGeneric »

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:23:35 AM by Kill All »

i'd say just a normal city build that allows roleplay but doesn't require the player to do so
but then it wouldn't be a genuine cityrpg gamemode... i'm actually not sure what would be better

I only like City RPGs, being there will always be that one guy that will forget up RPing

New poll is set up. I'm getting close to starting development and want to know what gameplay aspect you guys think I should focus more on.