Computer advice

Author Topic: Computer advice  (Read 1107 times)

I am looking to get a laptop for as cheap as you can that works for my purpose. I am not looking for some rig to do my everyday stuff on, I am looking for something that runs windows and can pull off at least some games on semi-crummy settings. Any advice?

Well a laptop ranges from 300 bucks to 3k

I know how huge the variety is, which is why I came here to ask advice on what would best serve my purpose in this case.

can pull off at least some games on semi-crummy settings
what games...

Mainly things like Blockland and some games like DayZ on a crummy quality.

When looking at computers you really need to give a a price range to get any decent recommendations.

Going off what bisjac estimated, I'd say 300$ to like 500$ would be optimal for a computer I won't use for much more than occasionally.

Spend the $500 on a laptop, and I'm confident you'll be able to snag something with 6-8gb of RAM and a decent processor.
My girlfriends laptop cost her ~€400 and it runs the sims 3, has 8GB of RAM and a somewhat decent processor.

Of course, you could cheat like I do, and find somebody who owns a business so they can claim the VAT back off the laptop. (got a laptop worth €750 for €600)
Only it wasn't really cheating because it's my fathers business and I do work there and do actually use the laptop for work related stuff, but that's barely ever.

My girlfriends laptop cost her ~€400
Any directions on how to achieve this as well?
Also, I will be able to claim back VAT.

Inb4espio

On a serious note, Lenovo makes some nice laptops worth checking out.

Lenovo makes some nice laptops worth checking out.
Any specific one you'd rec recommend for value?

Any directions on how to achieve this as well?
Also, I will be able to claim back VAT.
I got a laptop from Dell. They're good when it comes to hardware, but the actual design of the laptops they make isn't necessarily brilliant.
However, I found them to be quite cheap.

My laptop:
http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-17-5748-laptop/pd (the laptop with the i7 is mine)
Runs most if not all games nicely, but the touchpad is awful. I also think that putting windows 7 on it caused some hardware issues, so if you hate windows 8 I'd recommend waiting for windows 10 to release and get the free upgrade there. There are cheaper laptops there too, and they appear to be on sale too.

Still gladly accepting other suggestions though I quite like the Inspiron suggestion.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318466

This one seems fairly decent all around for the price. My main concern with having a computer like this would be the slow hard drive speed, but it's pretty easy to upgrade to an SSD later on if you want that extra speed boost.