Blockland Glass Mod Manager [Released!]

Author Topic: Blockland Glass Mod Manager [Released!]  (Read 33955 times)

Blockland Glass
Not related to Glass the player whatsoever
Blockland Glass is a name I've used on several (rather underutilized) projects that have attempted to work alongside RTB back in it's heyday. It's worked as a reskin, as an underutilized GUI downloading system, and now I've re-branded it as a new Add-On hosting system to fill in the gap of RTB.

Now, Blockland Glass is an add-on hosting and management system. Bringing together Greek2Me's Support_Updater, the old RTB Archives, an modern in-game downloader, and a whole load of new features, Glass covers the add-on system from head to toe.

I'm posting this in General Discussion as I believe the Modification Discussion mainly relates to developing Add-Ons themselves. If the in-game portion of this becomes significant enough, I'll create a separate thread there to detail that process. For now, it's just about the website

Gallery
Add-ons are, naturally, sorted in to categories based on their functionality.

RTB Add-ons have their own board, with information pulled from their RTB files. Add-on developers are able to recover their old RTB add-ons, importing them in to the Glass system. From there, the in-game mod manager will automatically put them on the right update paths and recover all the lost followings

Again, add-ons can very easily be retrieved from old RTB followings. Unfortunately, RTB didn't log the author's BLID, however Glass attempts to match names.

Glass add-ons can be kept on three different branches: stable, unstable, and development. This allows developers to make public changes and tests to their add-ons without interfering with the live versions. Greek2Me's Support_Updater is implemented throughout the system. version.txt files are automatically generated, pointing to the Blockland Glass repository. You don't have to do a single thing.

Conversely, for those that only wish to update their own private Updater repository, but also would like their add-on listed, Glass can check upstream repositories and mirror them, enabling all the functionality of the system without developers losing any control over their updates.

Each add-on that is submitted is automatically scanned for malicious code. After that, add-on reviewers can come by and either validate the security of the add-on, or point out any bad code. Either way, the add-on will not be removed for having bad code. Unlike RTB, all add-ons (except obvious spam and IP theft) are welcome. However, malicious add-ons will not be available in-game, only online.

Source code is available for easy view. Syntax is marked up, and detected problems are highlighted in red.

Add-ons also will have a rating and comment system in the near future

Planned Features
  • Private Files
  • Peer-review system
  • Statistic display and graphs
  • Comment/Rating system

Blockland Glass

Please, feel free to leave comments and suggestions
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:03:47 AM by Scout31 »

Here we go.. Again.

Good to see there are more related rtb stuff.

This looks pretty cool, but make the website's theme more blockland related. It currently looks like you directly copied from a weebly "website"

This looks pretty cool, but make the website's theme more blockland related. It currently looks like you directly copied from a weebly "website"
Well, I can guarantee you that wasn't intentional. Do you mean more blocky and less rounded?

I updated the site's style and I'm pushing account registration/login later.

looks really nice, though the website should be maybe a bit more colorful

It's funny because this is the orgin if my name. When we used to talk (back as Moby1997) about this it's when I decided to change my name to Glass.

But really, glad it's finally up!

Downloading the single test add-on and installing it is not a good idea as it is a filler file and I will be changing it periodically to check the malicious code testing functionality, meaning you could inadvertently download a script that will delete all of your files.
Why make this file available then?

Why make this file available then?
I have to agree with this. What benefit is gained from listing it on an active environment when surely the checks could be perfomed on something unlisted?

Woha, website looks much much nicer from the last time I saw. Very nice

I have to agree with this. What benefit is gained from listing it on an active environment when surely the checks could be perfomed on something unlisted?
I'm uploading updates to the live version at random intervals, as not all testing can be done locally, for example, the reCaptcha and file uploads as my live server has different permission than my personal computer. I don't have any intentions to upload a file that does that, but it may happen inadvertently.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:19:56 PM by Scout31 »

If you have to warn people that your service may contain malware, then perhaps you shouldn't be hosting/advertising it