Poll

New armor mechanics to be added as an addon pack?

Yes.
No.
Maybe.
wtf is this stuff do u no nothing about c0de
It is a viable option if someone is willing to make it

Author Topic: Armour System Mechanics  (Read 4178 times)

Good day.

I was browsing Wikipedia one day, and I found this:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sloped_armour

And then I thought: "Wouldn't it be nice if that was implemented onto Blockland vehicle hitboxes, calculating the angle of projectile trajectory, projectile speed and projectile size to determine how much said projectile would damage the vehicle, or if it would just bounce off altogether?"

And then I thought:  "Wouldn't it be great if a hundred people told me that it wasn't possible and started arguing with each other into things completely unrelated to the OP?"

And so, this topic was born.  Any ideas on how armour sloping and thickness can become a mechanic on vehicles and weapons that support it?  It would introduce a different method of strategy for vehicular combat.

probably possible

might be a mathematics nightmare but it's probs poss

probably possible

Your profile Giphy gives me nightmares..

THE OFF TOPIC BEGINS!

probably possible

It is definitely possible, I'm just not sure something like Torque could handle it.

when i say "possible" of course i do mean within the possibility of torque because we're talkin about blockland rite

i'm like at least ninety percent sure this can be done by some wizardry with the collision normals or something

when i say "possible" of course i do mean within the possibility of torque because we're talkin about blockland rite

i'm like at least ninety percent sure this can be done by some wizardry with the collision normals or something

Yeah, but in order to support the projectile damage calculation properly would require a pre-calculation on bullet speed, angle and size + it's own damage value before altering the vehicle's health in real time, and I wonder if that's supported.

I encourage everyone to share their thoughts on the matter.

Go on, make a fool of yourself.

Yeah, but in order to support the projectile damage calculation properly would require a pre-calculation on bullet speed, angle and size + it's own damage value before altering the vehicle's health in real time, and I wonder if that's supported.
you're talking like 10 calculations tops right there

Yes, we can do almost anything we want to the game.

you're talking like 10 calculations tops right there

That's the whole point.  I'm concerned if an armour deflection addon was made, that those calculations would make a pause between the hitting and deflection of the projectile, and any potential damage would lag slightly before having any effect to the vehicle. Is there any way something like that can be streamlined for faster calculations and lower latency?

Yes, we can do almost anything we want to the game.

*cough*seperateaddonpack*cough*

?? You lost me.

I assumed you were being sarcastic when you said that we can do almost anything we want to the game, knowing what this forum is like.

I do apologise if that was not you're intention.

Would any of this armour deflection melarcky be possible without any serious latency?

i think you're underestimating torque

which is a good thing to do from a development standpoint in almost any occasion, and i often do it, but what you're talking about would not be an intensive process

i think you're underestimating torque

which is a good thing to do from a development standpoint in almost any occasion, and i often do it, but what you're talking about would not be an intensive process

I never thought it would be intensive, just complicated in the form of latency and all the various hitbox armor thicknesses and angles.

World of Tanks managed to do that, but the deflection mechanics were planned from the very beginning, which is not the case with Blockland.

I suppose if it was developed in it's own little package, there would be no problem.

the only reason why it would cause latency is if it were an intensive operation, be it artificial or unintentional, to the point where the hardware or engine would struggle

n it's not, it just takes some clever mathing