Author Topic: Make people load sounds faster?  (Read 1525 times)

I'm working on an add-on with a LOT of sound files that's not quite ready for release yet. I'm trying to test it with people but it's hard since it takes them forever to spawn if they download sounds.

Is there a way to give people the sounds or something to make them load faster?

if you provide a download link with the sounds and stuff to them and they download them they should load faster

Didn't Zeblote make some sort of fast loader? I remember seeing it in Niblic's server.

Didn't Zeblote make some sort of fast loader? I remember seeing it in Niblic's server.
yep. basically the process is you inject a dll into the server process and it sends multiple packets per tick to players which lets them download files and ghost faster.

it seemed like there was an addon to go with the .dll, we were trying to figure out a good message one day

doesnt work with file loading, because all the files are actually downloaded from amazon web servers, to the client.

doesnt work with file loading, because all the files are actually downloaded from amazon web servers, to the client.
This only applies to files that are /actually hosted on the amazon servers/, which is just select files Badspot collected and put up there. The vast majority of files are still served directly from the host.

yep. basically the process is you inject a dll into the server process and it sends multiple packets per tick to players which lets them download files and ghost faster.
I really want this

Actually, it'd be nice if Badspot added an official setting so if you're hosting your server off a VPS with a 200Mbs upload connection, you could actually make good use of it!

Anyone got a link to the load faster thing or is it private?

It's a dll inject, nobody is going to post it here.

This only applies to files that are /actually hosted on the amazon servers/, which is just select files Badspot collected and put up there. The vast majority of files are still served directly from the host.
blockland.s3.amazonaws.com contains 100030 files. Are you sure about this?

The 30 files are probably things badspot put there manually, like the installer - the other 100k are the most recently used resources for servers.

After loading the file manifest on a server you have two stages of loading files. First all the ones found on the cdn (single progress bar) and then the ones that have to be requested from the server (two progress bars). I'm not sure what makes a server decide whether a file goes on the cdn though. Music files are never uploaded to the cdn I think.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 07:19:05 PM by Zeblote »

blockland.s3.amazonaws.com contains 100030 files. Are you sure about this?

The 30 files are probably things badspot put there manually, like the installer - the other 100k are the most recently used resources for servers.

After loading the file manifest on a server you have two stages of loading files. First all the ones found on the cdn (single progress bar) and then the ones that have to be requested from the server (two progress bars). I'm not sure what makes a server decide whether a file goes on the cdn though. Music files are never uploaded to the cdn I think.

Thank you.

I just wish there was a way for music to download faster. Whenever I host my server people take forever to spawn because they're downloading 20 songs and more often than not they have to rejoin because their load froze. That really should not happen.