Author Topic: General's OBJ2BLB - Issues  (Read 1562 times)

Before, I always used Badspot's OBJ2BLB and it worked great, however I have recently started making BLBs with prints on them and this is where I began using Gen's "better" BLB converter

I have gotten the OBJ to BLB successfully, however my model always floats, and the print texture doesn't show properly. For example, using the default 2x2f blue sphere print colors the whole texture face blue. Numbers/letters/symbols just appear greyblank and some prints show nothing at all (such as the green square and orange triangle print)

I have followed the documentation provided, modeled in the center of grid/origin, and named things accordingly. What am I doing wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 01:03:02 PM by Goth77 »

Lo behold, I have resolved my issues!

And for anyone else having trouble using Generals OBJ2BLB; I had to revert to Space Guy's BLB resource and actually map the UV coords myself

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=53716.0

It looks a bit confusing at first, but it's actually pretty simple.
Also, the way Space Guy interpreted was that UV's on BLBs read cooreds such as 0 0 as the top left corner. He was not wrong, but forgot to mention that the BLB is read backwards, so you must but the 0 0 as the "last" UV COORDS

Anyways, the weirdest issue with your exporter, General, is how the bounding box works. The first time through, my model had no bounding box because I thought it would be auto-assigned, which explains why it was floating a good 3 studs. The second time through when I added the bounding box, it was only floating about 1x1f brick from the ground. I tried to fix it many times, I even tried reducing the size of the bounding box and letting the shape just barely hang out but it still floated. The only fix I could think of was to literally pull the bottom face of the model down, and it worked

Notice how the BOUNDS doesn't fully cover the bottom. However, It's the only method I have found to make my object not float

I have gotten the OBJ to BLB successfully, however my model always floats, and the print texture doesn't show properly. For example, using the default 2x2f blue sphere print colors the whole texture face blue. Numbers/letters/symbols just appear greyblank and some prints show nothing at all (such as the green square and orange triangle print)
Your UVs are wrong.

The second time through when I added the bounding box, it was only floating about 1x1f brick from the ground. I tried to fix it many times, I even tried reducing the size of the bounding box and letting the shape just barely hang out but it still floated. The only fix I could think of was to literally pull the bottom face of the model down, and it worked
The bounding box must match the brick grid and the bounding box object center must to be at the center of the scene.

Notice how the BOUNDS doesn't fully cover the bottom. However, It's the only method I have found to make my object not float
This is not how you're supposed to do it and I'm surprised it works at all.

Your UVs are wrong.
The bounding box must match the brick grid and the bounding box object center must to be at the center of the scene.
I already solved my issue. The bounding box doesn't have to match the brick grid, but it's best to keep them close-to-scale or at least slightly smaller if you don't want overlapping bricks. You can define the bounds of the brick in the .blb easily

This is not how you're supposed to do it and I'm surprised it works at all.
I was as surprised as you, lol. Can't argue with success tho.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:53:35 AM by Goth77 »