NASA Finds Kepler-452b - New Earth-like Planet

Author Topic: NASA Finds Kepler-452b - New Earth-like Planet  (Read 2605 times)

even if you were travelling faster than light speed it would take over a thousand years to get there

I
...wat

If you were travelling at light speed then you would already be there. How would it take over a thousand years if the distance to your destination is 0?

[img=http://www.nasa.gov/keplerbriefing0723]http://It was a new earth-like planet.[/img]

great job

I
...wat

If you were travelling at light speed then you would already be there. How would it take over a thousand years if the distance to your destination is 0?

I don't think you understand the speed of light.

I don't think you understand the speed of light.
Because of time dilation being a thing, he's not 100% incorrect. There's also no way to prove him right or wrong, simply because reaching the speed of light with a physical object is impossible. (According to our current theories)

If you somehow manage to break the laws of the universe and travel at the speed of light, then assuming time dilation is indeed true (it's been proven in the past as being a thing), and also assuming that the theory of relativity is fundamentally correct then yes, from your perspective, you would be there instantly.

It's worth noting that for any observers it would indeed take thousands of years for them to get there, but saying that it's not possible within a human lifespan would be inaccurate assuming you're able to move at the speed of light.

The universe itself does not allow anything to match (let alone exceed) the speed of light unless it has literally 0 mass. Even if somehow we could reduce a spacecraft and human passengers to 0 mass, then there would be no possible way to build up the energy required to reach the speed of light. Photons are different; they essentially are energy, and have 0 mass. They can easily reach the speed of light, but never faster.

how about radio waves

what's the deal with those

Because of time dilation being a thing, he's not 100% incorrect. There's also no way to prove him right or wrong, simply because reaching the speed of light with a physical object is impossible. (According to our current theories)

If you somehow manage to break the laws of the universe and travel at the speed of light, then assuming time dilation is indeed true (it's been proven in the past as being a thing), and also assuming that the theory of relativity is fundamentally correct then yes, from your perspective, you would be there instantly.

It's worth noting that for any observers it would indeed take thousands of years for them to get there, but saying that it's not possible within a human lifespan would be inaccurate assuming you're able to move at the speed of light.

The universe itself does not allow anything to match (let alone exceed) the speed of light unless it has literally 0 mass. Even if somehow we could reduce a spacecraft and human passengers to 0 mass, then there would be no possible way to build up the energy required to reach the speed of light. Photons are different; they essentially are energy, and have 0 mass. They can easily reach the speed of light, but never faster.

To me it sounded like he was implying the speed of light is infinite, but he was speaking from the perspective of the passengers.
Also light does apparently have mass.

To me it sounded like he was implying the speed of light is infinite, but he was speaking from the perspective of the passengers.
Yeah, I told him he should've specified
Also light does apparently have mass.
Well, apparently somewhere between 0 and 1 x 10-18 eV/c2 [wikipedia]
So after some wolfram alpha stuff, that equates to around.. 1.073544 x 10-27u where u is unified atomic mass units.
1u is 1/12th of a single carbon-12 atom.
(Layman's terms: between 0 and basically 0)

..Not sure how it isn't 0, but.. hm..
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:09:33 PM by Evar678 »

When you travel the speed of light, you are free not just from the restrictions of space or time, but the restrictions of space-time.

Relativity to non-speed of light entities changes.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:13:03 PM by Tokerovin »

how about radio waves

What about them?

the image on page 2 was so powerful that 90% of my browser stopped functioning i cant believe i escaped it, truly terrifying.

What about them?
they travel at the speed of light yes?
whats their situation

When you travel the speed of light, you are free not just from the restrictions of space or time, but the restrictions of space-time.
huh

huh
Basically you aren't respective to the temporal dimension in such a case.
Time slows as you reach c and there is no dimensional perspective back or forth.

So yes.

the image on page 2 was so powerful that 90% of my browser stopped functioning i cant believe i escaped it, truly terrifying.
removed it

how about radio waves

What's the deal with airline food?!