Author Topic: Mac help: needs restart after closing lid for a while  (Read 901 times)

I've scoured the web looking for answers, and nothing works. I'm hoping there are some Apple nerds who can help.

If I close my lid, then open it again, it brings up the lock screen, just like it should. However, the issue is when I leave the lid closed for a long time. When I pull it up, it no longer automatically shows the screen. I press buttons, still black. Power button, still black. I have to hold down the power button for 5 seconds and force restart it for it to make it turn on again.

It has full battery and I checked screen brightness settings. It just seems to go into this brick state if I leave the lid closed for too long, where it makes no sounds, has a black screen, and responds to nothing but a force restart.

Pls help.

Turn off its ability to sleep

Try oiling the display hinge.

Turn off its ability to sleep
I'd prefer it could, plus it's supposed to work anyway.

Try oiling the display hinge.
The screen works fine, it has nothing to do with the physical connection.

Sounds like it's failing to resume from suspend. Could be a RAM issue but more likely an OS issue.

Sometimes the hinges turn the display on/off with the use of a magnet. Try rubbing a bar magnet on it, over and over, in the same direction.

Sometimes the hinges turn the display on/off with the use of a magnet. Try rubbing a bar magnet on it, over and over, in the same direction.
I keep the lid in the exact same position as it's black and silent, then I turn it on again with force in the same position and it's on once more. I really don't think it's that.

I keep the lid in the exact same position as it's black and silent, then I turn it on again with force in the same position and it's on once more. I really don't think it's that.
Maybe it's the issue with the button that controls the power when the lid is closed. In order to fix this, you'll need to 'debounce' your button. The way to do this is by physically bouncing the button to reset it. Try lifting the computer up and then moving it down quickly. Do that three times and tell me if it worked.

The way to do this is by physically bouncing the button to reset it. Try lifting the computer up and then moving it down quickly. Do that three times and tell me if it worked.
Is this an actual thing? It doesn't sound like it would work.

ok since you didn't seem to catch it with THAT one for the sake of you not breaking your computer I want you to know that seventh is messing with you

I'd prefer it could, plus it's supposed to work anyway.
Try disabling it anyway

Click the power button

nvm
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:30:46 PM by Courage »