Author Topic: Odd icons on my desktop?  (Read 1487 times)

Sometimes when I start my computer, there will be small icons on my shortcuts where there is supposed to be the shortcut icon, like this arrow:

This appears on every thumbnail on my desktop. The small icon also often changes; once it was a red cross, another time it was a gray circle and once it was a key. However, clicking the shortcut doesn't seem to do anything other than run the program it leads to. I'm running Windows 10.

I'd like to know what causes this.

It's the system32 virus. You need to delete the virus folder, in C:/Windows most likely.

It's the system32 virus. You need to delete the virus folder, in C:/Windows most likely.
Very funny.

it sounds like it might be related to some goofy network file nonsense just guessing from the descriptions of the icons, but idk why you would have everything on your desktop somehow actually point to an external location

i've never heard of this happening though so w/e

I'd say ignore it
But if it gets worse/annoys you enough, look up a tutorial on the internet

In all seriousness, do you have any programs with the chance of affecting the file system? A sync manager, anti-virus program? This doesn't sound like a particular feature of Windows 10.

I'd say ignore it
But if it gets worse/annoys you enough, look up a tutorial on the internet
It isn't really annoying, just weird.
In all seriousness, do you have any programs with the chance of affecting the file system? A sync manager, anti-virus program? This doesn't sound like a particular feature of Windows 10.
The process that sticks out the most to me is this:

It's used by AVG, an anti-virus that I uninstalled about a year ago. I didn't even notice it because it never did anything I could see.

I can't tell you why they're changing, but the little shortcut symbol on a shortcut's icon is completely normal
I don't see anything wrong with that screenshot

I can't tell you why they're changing, but the little shortcut symbol on a shortcut's icon is completely normal
I don't see anything wrong with that screenshot
Doesn't it normally look like this?

Doesn't it normally look like this?

yes
so I have no idea what's going on
I know that dropbox and some SVN clients add little icons in that spot, do you have any of those? the SVN thing seems most likely, because I don't recognize any of the symbols you described as being used by dropbox

I know that dropbox and some SVN clients add little icons in that spot, do you have any of those?
I don't use anything like that.

I don't use anything like that.
are you completely sure? have you ever downloaded a mod like Wire or PHX for garry's mod? does "TortoiseSVN" sound familiar?
I don't know of any other programs that add icons like that, and I doubt windows would do it on its own

My good sir!

are you completely sure? have you ever downloaded a mod like Wire or PHX for garry's mod?
Oh! I remember joining a Gmod server and some of the files it downloaded were for Wire, I wonder if I can find the mod in the game's folder.

It's just a Windows 10 bug. Ignore. Will fix itself on restart.