How to really stop my brother's videogame addiction?

Author Topic: How to really stop my brother's videogame addiction?  (Read 4785 times)

Sign him up for after-school gulagProgram. Take the computer and his other devices, give it to your grandparents or somebody and hide it.

If he doesn't go to the after-school programs, he gets bad grades and parents won't do stuff for him.

If he enthuses about afer-school program, give one device to him. Something small, like his phone.

If he doesn't, too bad that is his fault.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:15:27 AM by Foopster »

Find some program that stays hidden and instantly closes any DirectX or OpenGL application.

not sure why everybody is against this
I game and code all day because I don't have much else to do right now, and before
i'd say just wait for him to go to college and dorm life should reduce his gaming time on its own

Put parental controls on his Laptop. Its all I can think of

If he only plays games that require some form of internet connection to play or "tough stuff" then you can check if your router settings has a way to block internet access completely for individual devices during certain times of day

If he only plays games that require some form of internet connection to play or "tough stuff" then you can check if your router settings has a way to block internet access completely for individual devices during certain times of day
Root phone
Install wifikill
???
Profit

Root phone
Install wifikill
???
Profit

Except that would do nothing but shut him off the internet 24/7 preventing him from doing things he actually needs the internet for. Besides, you don't need a loving app to do that; you should be able to block devices from connecting to your internet through the router settings

What's a really good one?
windows already comes with one

he would need to be on a different user that doesn't have admin privileges

i can relate to your brother a lot and im not sure if that would help though. It would just make him more angry. honestly i don't think any action would actually help besides wait it out and hope he grows tired of it.

I can write a script, fully open-sourced to disable games of your/parents choice. This will make it so any game he tries to play that is blocked, will require a password of your/parents choice.
This.
Why is everybody ignoring the most responsible post here?!

User Account Control. You can set the time when the computer will force logoff a user. Of course, this will make him learn how to go around it like I did...

This.
Why is everybody ignoring the most responsible post here?!
because that would probably just resort to hatred.

does your brother play games with any friends? whether they are only online friends or real life?

Turn on remote desktop and use command prompt to force a shutdown